Transmission Fluid - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Transmission Fluid

I have a 95 with only 47k original miles. I've had it for about 30k of those miles and bought it from the original owner. As far as I know the transmission fluid has never been changed. The fluid is reddish brown and I get a shudder around 30-35mph but only when going up hills. I have read all about torque converter shudder and switching to mercon V. My question is, do you guys think it is safe to replace all the trans fluid, from pan and converter? And should I do it? Some people have told me not to drain fluid because then the trans might slip. Any info would help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Do it, drain it all!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Do it, drain it all!

Joe
Something about your reply makes me unsure haha.

I guess I'm not sure if you're kidding or being serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:51 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I'm serious, sorry if it sounded like I was being a smart ass.

Drop the pan and drain the converter. Refill with the Mercon and you should be good to go.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Thanks for the replies Joe. Do you think my shudder is due to the trans fluid, torque converter? Or would it be from a miss? It only shudders when going up a hill.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Draining the fluid and replacing it is fine, flushing it is the method that can cause issues in some transmissions. I definitely recommend Mercon V, Ford even put out a TSB for it, converter shudder is very common on 94-95s with original fluid.

-Matt
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It's a breakdown of the friction modifiers that keep the clutches from slipping caused by heat over time.

You can help the trans and fluid by adding an aftermarket cooler. Peak trans temps in the 180 range will practically double your fluid life compared to peak temps in the 21x range the stock configuration gives...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 03-29-2016 at 08:57 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys. So as long as I drain it and don't take it to a shop where they flush it I should be fine? I will look into getting a trans cooler. I have read about them on here and also the deeper trans pan.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What part of Cleveland are you in? I'm willing to lend a hand if you find yourself needing one.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Thanks terminator. I'm in Garfield Hts, bordering Cleveland. The car gets put away every winter and I haven't taken it out yet so it may be a while before I were to do anything with it. I appreciate the offer though.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Thanks for the replies Joe. Do you think my shudder is due to the trans fluid, torque converter? Or would it be from a miss? It only shudders when going up a hill.
I had the same symptoms in my 1995. Two of my transmission expert friends recommended this, Instant Shudder Fixx, and it absolutely worked for me.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
JAB

Garage
Hey Bob. I actually tried that and it seemed to work but I didn't get to drive the car that much before I put it away for winter. I was just concerned about the color of the trans fluid, being reddish brown, and if it is no longer any good. I have read that the color can change over time without the actual fluid being bad. Thanks for the tip.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Hey Bob. I actually tried that and it seemed to work but I didn't get to drive the car that much before I put it away for winter. I was just concerned about the color of the trans fluid, being reddish brown, and if it is no longer any good. I have read that the color can change over time without the actual fluid being bad. Thanks for the tip.
I think changing the fluid certainly can't hurt, and it will give you peace of mind. When I change mine, I might consider adding this: LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

A little insight into the history of the company: International Lubricants Inc. (ILI) - Makers of LUBEGARD

Since 1984, International Lubricants, Inc. has been a leader in researching, developing, and manufacturing patented high-performing ester-based synthetic lubricants and related products for automotive, industrial, marine and agricultural applications. It started here, during the preliminary development of the company’s proprietary LXE Technology, that International Lubricants Inc. took the opportunity to manufacture products that were friendlier to the environment, benign in their affect on users, and superior at resolving many common fluid-related difficulties. (much more to this article at the link)

Dr. Phil Landis, former head of Mobil Oil Applied Lubrication Research Group, became an automotive industry tribology pioneer through his formulation of the LXE, Liquid Wax Ester, Technology as a direct molecular replacement for sperm whale oil.

Why sperm whale oil?

Sperm whale oil and its derivatives were used as additives in virtually all automotive lubricants. The products were so effective that vehicles’ fluids were generally never changed, and systems like the transmission lasted the life of the car. Some 30 million pounds of sperm whale oil were used every year in lubricants alone. To supply the demand, hundreds of thousands of whales were harvested bringing that species to the brink of extinction.

The sperm whale was named for the valuable spermaceti oil (wax) that this whale produces in the spermaceti organ (located in its head). It has the largest brain of any animal, weighing about 20 pounds (9 kg)! The most famous sperm whale still to this day is from the fictional novel Moby Dick and was written by Herman Melville in 1851.

In 1972, the Endangered Species Act outlawed the killing of whales and the use of materials derived from those animals. For years, in engine oils, the automotive industry relied on other animal based products such as tallow or lard. For complex systems such as transmissions, these substitutes proved to be inadequate, leading to poor overall drive train performance, premature drive train failure and failure due to heat. For instance, automatic transmission failures went from less than a million units in 1972 to over eight million units a year by 1975, due to the loss of sperm whale oil additives. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association of Ventura, Calif., today, there are over 11 million automatic transmission failures per year (and nearly nine out of ten) are caused by the degradation of automatic transmission fluid due to heat. Heat promotes the oxidation of transmission fluid, and that compromises its performance and accelerates wear on the internal components of automatic transmissions.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 03-30-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more information
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM
PostWhore

Definitely just change the fluid, especially since it's original. It will clear the shudder right up.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Definitely just change the fluid, especially since it's original. It will clear the shudder right up.

Al
Agreed. Additives to me always seem to be a band aid fix to address symptoms of a larger problem and are IMHO only appropriate when the costs associated with the "correct" fix are prohibitive to the purpose/value/outlook of the vehicle.

Quote:
Thanks terminator. I'm in Garfield Hts, bordering Cleveland. The car gets put away every winter and I haven't taken it out yet so it may be a while before I were to do anything with it. I appreciate the offer though.
Small world.

The father-in-law was raised out there. Just shoot me a PM if you ever need anything. There's at least one other member here (not active on the boards much lately) who lives out in North Olmsted too.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on the work I did on the bird while it was garaged this winter. New tires coming next month, then it's driving season 2016.

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in