• 1 Post By Bad-Hoschy
  • 1 Post By Trunk Monkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

6r80 Transmissio Yay or Nay

Hi folks

I would like to know from you guys what you think of the 6r80

cost,modification,etc is not the point,just what's good about it or bad like drivability,manual shift experience.
Maybe what to like about it and what to hate ,like clutches don't last to long if you auto cross word road race.
Just some feedback would be appreciated

Thx hoschy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:30 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I would love to drop one in a build. It has been out there for some time, aftermarket upgrades are available, the 4.17 to 1 first gear is a magnet. The biggest expense will be the controller, but give it time and competition, the price will drop on that too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I'm building a tbird this year,I have a manual transmission laying around,but like that I would have the convenience of an automatic and a manual at the same time.prices are salty for the controller and adapter I know but available and it would fit,I'm still gathering information about the thanny
RalphP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Very interested in following your build. I'm also considering this trans. Please keep us posted. Thanks.
RalphP likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I love how my 09 f150 drives with the 6r80. If I ever do coyote swap it's gonna be with auto.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I love how my 09 f150 drives with the 6r80. If I ever do coyote swap it's gonna be with auto.
How does the 6r80 compare to let say 4r70w ,does it just have 2 more gears,or is there a new experiences??
What do you don't like?
Do you have paddle shifters on the steering wheel??
In the short term I probably go get the m5r2 put in since this is a direct bolt on,the 6r80 is more challenging the way I want my setup
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
While cruising it doesn't seem to shift as late as the 4r70w. The truck is pretty responsive without forcing a downshift. No paddle shifter.

I haven't messed with manually shifting my truck yet. I have a sct canned tune on it. I reset all my adaptive trans settings after changing filter and fixing the wiring harness leak problem. Noticed a strange 1-2 shift after that, but it finally went away after a few hundred miles.

I think you're on the right track with manual swap. This trans communicates data over a network so it must have a tcm of sorts inside that reports shifter position, tft, and powering shift solenoids. This makes it very hard to swap into something older, imo.

Pros: it's a 6 speed, adaptive strategy, possible better ratios? (Feels good anyway, maybe it's the 3v)

Cons: no dipstick, harness leak problem, requires Mercon Lv fluid, CAN network connected

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

What I found out so far :usshift makes a stand alone controller called quick 6 and performance automatics makes the small block adapter ,sells the shifter or with deep pockets the whole package.
If you go coyote you won't need the adapter which 400 $$$ .
Still working on some details,especially paddle shifters.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Voice/Data Guru

R80 works very well in the Mustang here as well . Wish it was double clutch .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Bull View Post
R80 works very well in the Mustang here as well . Wish it was double clutch .
A double clutch is not as strong as a clutch to clutch automatic from what I understand and try to rebuild one sound like no Bueno to.i guess 6r80 seems the best deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in