1Likes
  • 1 Post By 97 V8 Swap

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
4r70w

Hi all,
Continuing with my tranny saga, I got the original J-Mod valve body back in, car shifts fine when cold, but once it warms up, 1 to 2 is sluggish. I could not figure this out so I took the Cougar into a reputable tranny house and had them look it over, run diags, etc. They could not find anything wrong and everything I had already done was what they would have suggested. So, the best thing either of us could come up with is the PCM is just gone bad. My options seem to be to replace the PCM with a 95 and replace the valve body with a 95 per the TSB that was posted for this issue with the 94 4r70w.

I could not find a 95 3.8l valve body to get the PCM off of and I am leary of getting another used 94 and have the same issue or something different.

So, for $500, is it worth the gamble to replace the current PCM and valve body? Or, I can order a new re-built tranny for $1300 and have someone install it.

Issues are:
sluggish 1-2 shift - low power.
Hard 1 - 2 shift.
Does not down shift when it should.

Suggestions?

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 180k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - still going....
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - SOLD!
I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 08-21-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
What color Spring is in the 1-2 accumulator?

Have them put a brown spring in it; you won't have any slow shifting.

Stock is two springs, one on top, one on bottom.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

I replaced the springs a few years back when the OEM broke. I checked them again and they were fine. What is weird is why would this spring last 10 years / 30,000 and then start acting up with a slow shift? Just strange.

I will look into replacing the spring, adding another spring.

Thanks Grog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Found this thread:
https://forums.tccoa.com/955-4r70w-t...-question.html

And this article....
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/.../tsb971111.pdf

BTW: I added in the original post that it has a hard 1 - 2 shift.

So, the more I think about it, the pressure is not enough to get a faster shift and then when it does shift, its a hard shift. I bet the spring is not broke, as examined, but is worn and not responding as it should.

BTW: I found out it was 17,000 miles ago and 8 years, not 30k and 10 years.

Last edited by white lincoln; 08-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:

I did some digging in my reciepts and found the one where I bought the spring and accumlator piston from the Ford dealer.
ford eoaz7f285a

So the answer is "PURPLE"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford eoaz7f285a.JPG (20.5 KB, 33 views)

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

My car is having problems with the 1-2 shift. It usually occurs at light throttle. It's better when accelerating fast, but it has sent things from the front seat to the back seat. It also has its good and bad days.

Took out the accumulator and the problem was evident.

I ordered the updated accumulator and it will arrive soon. Hopefully, I will figure out which way the new piston goes in and which spring goes where.

If someone knows which spring goes where it would be helpful because they flew around. I used a jack handle on the floor and shimmed a block of wood under it to remove the snap ring. I don't think it will be easy to put it back together so if you have any tips I would appreciate it!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Yeah, that's the old accumulator. I replaced my accumulator and spring shown in the pic i put in my last post.

Read this article 97 V8 Swap:

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/tranny/.../tsb971111.pdf

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks. I did find that article before. I think the purple and brown springs might be from a shift kit.

The accumulator piston in your photo doesn't look like a 1-2 piston. Could be the angle.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 PM

Garage
Searching for problems that EVERYONE has had will make this a lot faster to figure out:

Type:"Search 1-2 accumulator problem site:tccoa.com" in the google box.

Read those, and then ask some questions; we get tired of reposting the same stuff repeatedly.

I've replaced all my transmissions with later models, but there are various things that are necessary to do so; all those things we have detailed over the last 20 years here.

Go thru the sticks at the top of the drive train section, there's a exploded view diagram of the whole tranny.

Read the first 5, and look at the pix; that should answer most of your questions.

If you want to know about the internals, there's an awesome post here:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-diary.128800/

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear Poster

you can delete my profile
Grog6 likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 V8 Swap View Post
you can delete my profile
Seriously?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Searching for problems that EVERYONE has had will make this a lot faster to figure out:

Type:"Search 1-2 accumulator problem site:tccoa.com" in the google box.

Read those, and then ask some questions; we get tired of reposting the same stuff repeatedly.

I've replaced all my transmissions with later models, but there are various things that are necessary to do so; all those things we have detailed over the last 20 years here.

Go thru the sticks at the top of the drive train section, there's a exploded view diagram of the whole tranny.

Read the first 5, and look at the pix; that should answer most of your questions.

If you want to know about the internals, there's an awesome post here:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-diary.128800/
Unfortunately, I am not finding issues that relate to mine, or anyone that has changed out a 94 PCM and Valve body with a 95 set and have it fix their 1-2 shift issue. It's possible I have a failing 1-2 accumulator spring, but no one has ever mentioned this, just a broken spring.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 PM

Garage
These posts sound exactly like what you're experiencing:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAllNight View Post
Changed about 7 months ago. I would think it also depends on what spring broke. If its the bottom it would cause firmer shifts, if its the top it would cause softer shifts.

But what happens when the accumlulator starts loosing its seal because its the junky aluminum one that scuffs the bore and wears its seal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
then i would think that the tranny fluid would "leak" past the seal and cause a delayed shift like you described, but dont quote me on it, im just taking a guess. i did the 1-2 accumulator spring in my other car, not hard to do and it did nothing cuz the tranny was junk....would lock up going into reverse.

but change it, see what happens, not pricey to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAllNight View Post
I picked thi up from another site

A leak around the 1-2 accumulator piston will cause the intermediate clutch to drag to some extent and reduce pressure apply pressure avaliable to other transmission clutches. A really bad leak (i.e. missing accumulator piston) can in theory cause the vehicle to start out in "2nd gear" and miss "1st" entirely. But in actual practice, a large leak on this circuit may result in no 3rd and no 4th gear complaints due to lowered apply pressure on the other circuits and new fluid leaks created by the heat/debris generated by the slipping intermediate clutch. Connecting a mechanical pressure guage to the clutch taps will confirm or deny circuit leaks without disassembling the transmission.

Sounds about right. I will wait and see... hopefully the j-mod and new updated accululators I am installing next week pull everything together for the good.
Here's a pic of the springs:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...GJ7I2cORYL9fEg

Here's how you fix a leaky accumulator, if the new piston style doesn't fix it:

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2381-1-...tor-sleeve-kit

All of this is from the search page I listed; if you get butthurt by someone telling you to search, too fucking bad.

This is Not rocket science; this is easy, if you're competent. This only involves reading and turning bolts.

My personal opinion is you are wasting your time with that tranny; I'd swap it to a 02 version, and swap out the solenoids to fit your EEC.

It's not easy, as that's one of the ones that's different; but LOTs of people have done it.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Grog, I am not sure if you are making the comments to me or 97 V8, but in reality, what you mentioned is not my issue. I have already replaced the "cheap aluminum" piston and spring and though it could be a pressure leak, I seriously doubt it. I did see the Sonnax parts for replacing the piston walls with sleeves and a new piston from Sonnax and considered it as a fix but once again, what is the real issue. And yes, I am considering a new tranny for $1500 but will have to have someone put it in. These are all the things I am considering but trying to make the best decision without throwing money at the car. If the wife was not so determined that she has to have a new car, I would have bought a very low mileage 95 V8 Cougar by now.

From the TSB's I have read, the issue is the PCM, but you have to replace the VB with a matching year. I was not able to find a PCM for my needs a the yard so on to the next thing, do I buy new?. The other issue is the 1-2 accumulator piston and spring, which I have done. Since the shop could not find codes or anything they thought was wrong, they shook their heads and said good luck. I was hoping for something more defined like the bands are slipping or PCM / VB is bad or something, but not "dunno".

I understand your frustration with people asking the same question. I deal with it on a daily basis as a systems administrator, but because I have a quick answer, I am happy to help. It's the questions that come up that I don't have an answer for that I find frustrating. At that point, I am doing all the research for the customer, but at the same time learning something new.

So I digress and will do more research on the best possible solution to the problem and not rely on "those that know more than I do" on this site. I do appreciate all of the help I have received on this site, thank you.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:24 AM

Garage
I'm happy to help, but we need to start from similar places.

I am not that familiar with the early transmissions; to most of us, these are wear items, I go thru one every 3 years or so.

I learned to rebuild them because it seemed the thing to do.

I'd go find a good transmission guy; go buy an 02 junkyard transmission, and the NEW parts you need to work with your EEC. I think it's the TCC and EPC solenoids, but you really need to know.

PATC in La are great guys to buy parts from, and they sell the new parts for your older setup.

Talk to the tranny guy, and ask him what it costs to put a rebuild kit in your 02 tranny; if you are going to leave it with him for a while, it CAN be cheaper.

I can easily get one rebuilt and installed here for $1500; that would be with expensive plates.

All you need is a stock rebuild, with the newer style teflon shaft seals. If the tranny guy doesn't know about one-piece seals, talk to another tranny guy.

Look thru the link to the explorer site; show it to the tranny guy you end up going to, hopefully, he's seen all that, but you never know.

The early transmissions lack a considerable number of parts, and there are passages in the case that are better as well.

By now, every seal in it is solid as a rock, and the shaft seals are leaking; they're 23 years old.

A good rebuild of the later tranny will last a lot of years; my last one I've gotten 4 years out of, and it's still going strong.

BTW, if you guys think I'm pissy, be glad you never met Joel, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in