Slipping tranny at start after having fluid flush, twice. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Slipping tranny at start after having fluid flush, twice.

I posted this in another thread in another forum.

My tranny was running just fine up to a couple of days ago. I took my bird in for oil change, power steering flush and tranny flush.

The shop put in Dextron III - Mercon in my 92 AOD. Apparently it's the same as Mercon III. He also added a shudder conditioner.

I went to pick it up and the mech started talking about how it wasn't shifting at the proper points and I'm thinking to myself that "I don't know what you are talking about.".

So I go to drive it away and my first is slipping in 1, D and OD. The bird moves, tranny slips and then bang, into gear and the sqealing of tires; like a neutral drop. It was the end of the day, so I take it back the next day and we have a discussion about what was done and fluids used. He flushes the tranny again on his dime and he says that it's the cleanest tranny that he's ever seen in there.

Okay, so I take it out and now it seems to be only happening when I start to turn to the right after a stop. I feel it slip, so I let off the gas in time before it decides to go into gear.

What is going on here? Air in the system? It was perfectly fine before. Lots of torque (for a 3.8L).

Thanks in advance for any expert help.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:27 PM

Maybe he just didn't put enough in. Thats what happened to me. It was two quarts low and it did exactly like you describe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks pooperman. When I took it back the next day, the fluid was still up. Did yours go down after a while, or was it down right after the change?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Well, fluid hasn't gone down yet after 2 days. OD is fine, but down shifts and from a stop is slipping.

What is bugging me is that it was perfectly fine before the change.

Thanks for your advice.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I don't know that much about the AOD, but is it possible the TV cable got moved when they were under the car?

But I don't even know if your car has a TV cable, so I my advice be WAY off!

Just something to check.

Good luck!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 94 Daily. Yes, I have a TV cable. It's a good suggestion and I'll check that out, as well as ask him about it. I wonder if this is indicative of a TV cable being misadjusted.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

The TV cable appears untouched on the top end. I need to get it on a hoist somewhere tomorrow and see what they have done under there.

Anyone else with some insight into this? It would appear to be an issue with the fluid moving in the tranny if it does it more cornering to the right.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:23 PM

Perhaps he didn't properly install the orange seal on the filter?
Or maybe (coincidentally) you have had a 1-2 accumulator failure, broken 1-2 acum spring, or the 1-2 piston cover plate has shifted/tilted. Food for thought...

I just spend the evening removing my 4R70W tranny so that I can upgrade/overhaul it. What a PITA! Never had to remove a fuel tank to remove a driveshaft before...
And that insane mix of metric and USS bolts about drove me crazy!

Good Luck with whatever you find,
Greg
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, the advice is appreciated. You'd think that the guy would go over things like that before flushing again. Or maybe he didn't re-flush.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:01 AM

It has been my experience that once they have your money, little is done to correct any complaint. I used to work as a mechanic, and the quality of work varied between absolutely attrocious to extremely competent. My experience with shops ranges from an independent Mercedes shop (perfectionist) to Cadillac, Oldmobile, and Saab dealers (OK), to several crummy little independents (Good to bad).

Generally, chains are the worst. Dealers range from OK to sub-par. Independents can be the best, but some suck worse than the chains. It is difficult to find a good mechanic, and that is why I persist in doing my own work, in spite of my advancing years... ;-)

And don't even get me started on tire dealers! Stripped lug nuts, broken windshields, directional tires mounted backwards, etc... "It was that way when you brought it in!" Yea, right...

If I were you, I would possibly try another shop, make certain that the correct filter was installed, that the orange seal is installed properly, and make certain that your accumulator pistons have been upgraded to the rubber-over-metal types. These are notorious failures - especially the 1-2 accumulator. Make certain the a broken 1-2 accumulator spring hasn't caused the cover plate to tip over, causing a loss of hydraulic pressure - I have seen this several times. Works fine one moment, not the next. You can check/change this without removing the valve body, it's a 10 minute job. It causes slipping, over-reving going into 2nd, seems sensitive to cornering and generally ill behaviour. If you are really light on the throttle, everything may seem to work OK.

Whatever you do, don't drive the car around until it is fixed - you can cause permanant damage - requiring an expensive overhaul. Don't let it over-rev and slam into gear - things WILL break!

If you find that the previous shop was the cause of the problem, send him the bill - in small claims court if necessary!

G
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey, Great advice Greg. I used to take my car to this shop and they used to do a good job. This is a newer mech that I didn't know that worked on it. The guy who I really trust with it is 4.5 hours away.

The guy did mention that it could be a defective filter, so then why not change it before the second go 'round? I don't get the logic. He said to bring it in if it is still doing it tomorrow, so I'll take it in and advise him on what you have advised, and watch them do it. Failing that, it's the local Ford dealer.

I know, I should just do it myself and could, but I need to get it done fast and get back to work.

Thanks again.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:48 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I think that happens often after a tranny flush. Sometimes your old fluid is the only thing keeping the clutches from slipping. IF your old fluid is burnt or brown, chances are your clutch material is gone.

If the clutches are ALREADY shot, fresh fluid will only make this more apparent.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by GregFL
...If I were you, I would possibly try another shop, make certain that the correct filter was installed, that the orange seal is installed properly, ...
G
Took it in, they referred me to the local tranny experts, went for a test drive with the tech, and he knew right away that something was up with the filter. He sent me back to the other shop and called them with advice and they finished it a half hour ago. The filter wasn't seated properly and there was a small gap. Three loads of Dextron III later.

Running fine again. Happy guy now but I can't bring myself to post a dancing banana. Well maybe...this one..

I really appreciate the help.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soop

Running fine again. Happy guy now but I can't bring myself to post a dancing banana. Well maybe...this one..

I really appreciate the help.
Glad you got it going!
It would have been a real shame to loose the trans over stupid filter problem.

Reminds me of the JiffyLube horror stories...
"I had the oil changed in my car as preventative maintenance, now it needs a new crank, pistons, cam, lifters..."

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in