No reverse, no 1 or 2.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

No reverse, no 1 or 2....

Ok...did the j-mod under 300hp setting. Now I cant shift into 1 or 2, stops at D... and reverse doesnt do reverse, it goes forward.

HELP!!!!!

what the hell? Could it be the tv cable on the tb? the linkage looks good down low. Ill pull the pan later tonite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:58 PM

Did you get the rooster comb back in the right notch?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

can you explain what the "rooster comb" looks like? just so there's no confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:47 AM
6th Gear Poster

The rooster comb is the scalloped looking part that moves inside the pan when the tranny linkage is moved outside the pan. It has a pin in it that engages the shifter valve cylinder and moves it when the shifter lever is moved. The pin goes into a groove (last groove before the clip) on the valve cylinder. I can take a picture tonight if you will need it. I'm just about to put my new pan on and I could snap an image while I'm there.

On a related note...you remember the spring (flat metal piece with the roller on the end) that you had to remove to get the tranny valve body out? This is the rooster comb spring, and it rests in the scallops on the rooster comb. It's what provides the detent positions (the click and stop at each gear) to stop the manual shift valve cylinder. If you changed the OD servo to the 2.7" diameter, this is the same piece you were supposed to wedge against the OD band by putting it in the hole next to the servo. I'm just bringing this up to help you visualize what the rooster comb is.

Anyway, let me know if you need the picture....I should be able to get you one tonight sometime.....unless it's raining!

Oh...and I'm not sure...but is there even a TV cable on the throttle body for 4R70W trannys? I noticed I have two cables...so I guess it could be, but I thought the tranny was completely electronic....Just a thought....

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:54 AM

The rooster comb spring is the piece of metal a couple of inches long with a roller on one end. You need to drop the pan and look at where the shift linkage engages the shaft in the valve body that moves fore and aft, and look at where the rooster comb spring engages the detents. The way it is right now the shifter is out of sync with the valve body. If you lay under the car and take a look at things and have someone move the shifter slowly through the gears you should be able to figure out out things are supposed to go together.

Sorry for the duplicate information. I guess rustyul and I were typing at the same time.

Marcus
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

There is NO tv cable on any AODE or 4R70W transmissions, the kickdown is handled by the EEC, which figures out throttle position via the Throttle Position Sensor, the TPS.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 PM
6th Gear Poster

Here is a picture of the rooster comb spring....bolted in it's correct place, and in the park position on the rooster comb itself. I hope this clarifys everything....

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:27 PM

You probably didn't get the shift lever pin into the right recess on the control valve.
Look at this picture to confirm if you have it right. The shift lever pin goes into the slot closest to the end. I just happen to have one of these torn down now.
It should look EXACTLY like this:

hmmm... I can't seem to post pictures... Look here instead!

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...ShiftLever.jpg

There is NO TV cable on any 4R70W or AOD-E(W) transmission I've seen,
it is controlled electronically.

You may not have torqued the valve body properly, this is critical. Inter-passage leaks are common on these. Work up to the final torque in stages - let it sit for a while - then loosen 1/4 turn and retorque again - In the proper order. See this:

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...BodyTorque.jpg

Greg
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Got it figured out, didnt have the detent on the manual valve. Ugh. So stupid. LoL. Thanks for the replies guys, that was right on the money.

oohrah!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

Greg...

Yeah...if I didn't have my head up my rear, I would have gotten a better angle on that shot showing the pin in the valve....seeing is that's what the diagnosis was. Good pic!

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:37 PM

RustyUL,

Wasn't trying to show you up or anything - I just got the impression you were pointing out the detent spring rather than the manual valve. I had a tranny in the shop and I've seen this complaint before, so I just snapped the pix and uploaded it.

Either way, success!
This is apparently one of those jobs where so many things were changed at once, problems abound! (See thread in engine tech.) This is why I tend to do one task at a time, so that problems don't manifold themselves...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in