Bad Rear End Noise! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Bad Rear End Noise!

This just happened two days ago, i had been getting a quiet screeching noise for a few weeks though (like i needed new brakes). So i thought it was that, then i was coasting through a parking lot and i hear a creaking/grinding metal sound, kinda sounded like a ball joint was gonna break, so i stopped the car. Ne hoo, it makes that creaking/metal grinding noise only at low speed. What the hell is that??

94 SC, Black with Blue interior
MAC CAI, C&L 76mm MAF, BBK 75mm TB, MP Inlet, Raised top, ported blower, ported IC tubes, Double IC w/ 800 CFM fan, SCP downtubes, high flow cats, Magnaflow res., Flowmaster catback, solid motor & trans mounts, 190lph pump, J-modded w/ cooler and deep sump pan, 18x9 Mustang Bullets...13 sec. hopeful, awaiting Dave D. tune!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:06 PM
No More BS

Not too sure if this is still an issue or not but Check your Hub nuts on the rear. Also check the Fluid in your rear end. It could be as easy as brake pads flopping around.

Mike

1988 Lincoln Mark VII
Paxton Novi 1000 6psi kit, 30lb injectors 73mm C&L, MAF converted A3M, gt-40's, Felpro headgaskets, 1.7 Cobra RR's, typhoon intake,1 5/8 shorty headers, off road x-pipe, and full mandrel catback, electric fan, 3.73's, TKO 500, pro 5.0 shifter

372.4hp / 394.6tq 5psi

Rest in Peace Joel R. Bender.
July 30, 1979 - March 26, 2006
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Anyone got an answer? I have to same low speed grinding issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

man...talk about digging up old posts. This one was before i even bought my supercoupe. Anyway, problem turned out to be my rear bearings. Got both sides replaced, and that took care of everything. Hope that helps.

-Trey

MAC CAI, C&L 76mm MAF, BBK 75mm TB, MP Inlet, Raised top, ported blower, ported IC tubes, Double IC w/ 800 CFM fan, SCP downtubes, high flow cats, Magnaflow res., Flowmaster catback, solid motor & trans mounts, 190lph pump, J-modded w/ cooler and deep sump pan, 18x9 Mustang Bullets...13 sec. hopeful, awaiting Dave D. tune!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM

care to elaborate? Where are these and how can i test to see if they are bad. Im having very isolated problems like you were. Only happens when car is warmed up at low speeds during cornering. I can get it to do it every time while its doing it... but its pretty hard to diagnose.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I did not replace the rear hub bearings myself, i had a shop do it. They need to be pressed out and have new ones pressed in, as far as i know. It's probably not a job to tackle unless you know what you're doing and you have the correct tools. Any reputable mechanic will be able to diagnose ur problem for sure and fix it. Good luck.

-Trey

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Thanks... ill have them look at it soon. Im not sure if my dads gonna let my borrow any money until i get back from FL so well have to see when they get fixed. Theyve been making that noise/feeling for about 6 or 8 months now so im not too worried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in