AOD Rebuild, Is it worth it?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

AOD Rebuild, Is it worth it??

Well i have decided that noone will pay me for my blownup AOD. I couldnt get 50 bucks out of it.

So i found on Ebay some rebuild kits and i have seen them in Jegs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46104

So my question is. Is it worth my time over this winter to try and rebuild it???? Ive done plenty of work from the radiator to the flywheel, only thing i have done is incorectlly install a shift kit in a tranny. And unbolt the blown up one, and rebolt the brand new one. So i want to know if it is worth my time. Is there much to doing the rebuild????? Would it be so much of a PITA i shouldnt even bother loosening the first bolt??? If i buy the rebuild kit for say 50$ and then when im done resell the whole unit for like 600$ I think it WOULD be worth it, but if im in over my head then ill turn the damn thing into a mailbox

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:01 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
It would be cheaper to find a used AOD that works and just swap them.

Of course the M5R2 swap is always preferred.

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I have already gotten a brand new built tranny, I want to know if it is worth it for me to rebuild the old one i have sitting on my garage floor. Its no good to people blown up and i cannot sell it blown. But if i reuild it i think i can get money for it. Is it worth my time to rebuild the old one, or is it too much of a headache.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

They can be built up pretty nice... but it depends on your skill level. Most of the things in the od 101 article can be applied to AODs, so that puts you in the right direction. Rebuilding a tranny isnt that difficult, but it does require precision. A few tools will be required, some you may have, some not. You will need a good factory manual. The biggest thing I can advise you is that everything has to be super CLEAN for it to last a long time.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Factory manual?????????????? Tranny manual, or a complete MN12 manual????

I think I have everything as far as tools are concerned. I plan on buying a TQ wrench, but im not sure what else i might need. Super clean. OK got it.

Any other tips or tools of the trade i should know about.

Chris
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

there is special tools required for the insides of the tranny, and you have to be able to measure certain thrust washers as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Name these special tools. Im in no hurry to work on this thing. I have nothing but time. Ive had it in my garage since January taking up space. If it takes me another 3 months to get it done, and I make about 500-600$ from selling it. It cool.

What would you guys say the hardest thing to do on the tranny?????

Chris
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 PM

The chances of getting prime prices for a rebuild not done by a experienced rebuilder are slim. What about a warranty? Can you test it before delivery?

Hell has no fury like a mechanic that has just installed a tranny that doesn't work.

Seriously, though. It requires micrometers, H-guage to measure intermediate clutch clearances, bench clamp for piston seal replacement & seal installer/protector sleeves, a press to replace bushings, offset feeler guages for clutch pack clearances, etc. And experience to catch the little things that slip by unnoticed...

You could spend upwards of $400 just replacing standard failure parts, and still not know if it works properly. For yourself, this would be fine, but ...

Master Kit - $140
Mech Diode - $120
Bushing Kit - $25
Misc parts - ????
Bad Pistons - $40
Labor - !!!

JMHO
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Greg, Just what i was looking for. Im wanting someone to scare me into not doing the job. However, what you have done is provoked me even more. and peaked my intrest. I think I can do it still. It may take longer for the simple fact I dont have a press close. Its about a 15 min drive to the closest press i can get my hands on. and thats the only thing im worried about. MMMMMM Anyway, I think im going to get a second helper to help me out. 4 eyes better than 2, 4 hands better than 2, 2 brainds better than 1. Soooo....
Thanks for the input guys, Ill let ya know how it goes. IF anyone has any more tips or anything i should be scared or worried about please dont hesitate to post em.

Chris
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

sorry i didnt get back fast enough, greg summed up what i would of said anyway. beside there is just a few thing i dont do on cars , and one of them is build trannys, the other is exhaust.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Poster

I wouldn't buy a rebuilt transmission from a guy that is his first rebuild. No offense to you but 8 hours on my back on a concrete garage floor is not fun. I would either save it for a core or junk it. On second thought take the trans to the shop that did your rebuild and give it to them. Make friends with those guys maybe in the future it will come back around and they might help you out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in