output shaft movement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Question output shaft movement

While putting my engine/tranny combinaton back in my car after engine rebuild and J-mod, I noticed that when slipping my driveshaft back on the output shaft, that the output shaft has some movement. in it.

Is the output shaft supposed to be rigidly mounted in the tailpiece? Should I be able to move the driveshaft ANY while it is in place on the tranny output shaft? As it is, I can move it quite a bit, but I can't quantify with specific measurment.

If there isn't supposed to be any movement, what happens when you take off the tailpiece? Do all sorts of bearings, shafts, and springs come flying out, or is it just a shaft supported by two bearings (severely worn bearings in my case) and it will be a simple replacement job?

Man, I really want to see how well my new stuff runs, if I ever get finished replacing broken/worn parts!

Anybody have any ideas?

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 04:43 PM

Here is my 2 cents worth...

I assume that you mean lateral movement (up and down/side to side) and not radially (around - normal rotation)

Some lateral movement is unavoidable, but if it's over... say 1/4", it's too much.
The bushings in the tailshaft housing and the rear of the transmission case are probably shot. If you dog it and have a V-8, they are probably gone. If these are worn excessively, it can cause a variety of internal ills that slowly creep up on you.

You can try replacing just the tailshaft bushing, remove it and take it to a machine shop to be pressed in, unless you have a press. The bushing is about $2.00. Get a new shaft seal and housing gasket as well. The other bushing requires total dissasembly of the tranmission to replace.

Nothing explodes when you pull the housing. Just be careful and note where things come from. Depending on the year model of the trans, there may be a sleeve and pin over where the governor USED to be. Don't remove it or loose the pin.

Don't break the speed sensor, and be careful to remove all old gasket material before reassembly to avoid a cocked housing - and further wear. Lube all part contact points with ATF before reassembly. Because it is aluminum, retorque the bolts evenly and in steps, just as a precaution. Put a little grease around the inside of the seal lip before inserting the driveshaft - not so much that it ends up inside the tranny.

Good Luck,
Greg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Man, that was a very clear, concise, and intellegent post. I appreciate it very much. I do indeed mean lateral movement, but here's what I have learned since I originally posted.

The excess movement I was talking about was with the driveshaft yoke removed. After looking at the Ford Service Manual, it would appear that the driveshaft yoke actually rides in the tailshaft bushing, providing the bearing surface for the end of the output shaft.....is this correct?

With the driveshaft yoke installed, there was no discernable movement up/down/side-to-side. I am so relieved. I didn't want to spend MORE money on getting this beast back together.

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6

Last edited by rustyul; 08-05-2003 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyul
Man, that was a very clear, concise, and intellegent post. I appreciate it very my. I do indeed mean lateral movement, but here's what I have learned since I originally posted.

Thank you! Sometimes I get a little anal, but I try...

Quote:

The excess movement I was talking about was with the driveshaft yoke removed. After looking at the Ford Service Manual, it would appear that the driveshaft yoke actually rides in the tailshaft bushing, providing the bearing surface for the end of the output shaft.....is this correct?

With the driveshaft yoke installed, there was no discernable movement up/down/side-to-side. I am so relieved. I didn't want to spend MORE money on getting this beast back together.
Yes, that is correct. The tailshaft bushing rides on the driveshaft yoke surface.
Without the driveshaft in place, there is only one bushing supporting the output shaft, along with the planetary cover splines. It will appear to be loose.

Glad to hear that you don't actually have a problem.

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in