Anyone having problems with 3-4 shift with JMod - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone having problems with 3-4 shift with JMod

This could just be a fluke, but I have heard a few reports of the JMod adversly affecting the 3-4 shift. I believe the trans in question was a 94 4R70W on a 3.8L V6. The complaint is that the 3-4 shift flares, and he has to let off of the gas for about 3 seconds for it to catch. In other words, it free-revs for about 3 seconds before the OD band kicks in. He claims a mild setting on the Mod.

Has anyone alse experienced these problems (other than those who didn't get their OD band properly attached)? Or is this just a worn out tranny that was modded?

If this is a reoccuring problem, I want to avoid modding my freshly rebuilt to the point that this occurs - probably altering the holes sizes to minimize this behavior.

If so, what OD piston do you have?
What settings did you mod your plate to?

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 09:34 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally posted by GregFL
This could just be a fluke, but I have heard a few reports of the JMod adversly affecting the 3-4 shift. I believe the trans in question was a 94 4R70W on a 3.8L V6. The complaint is that the 3-4 shift flares, and he has to let off of the gas for about 3 seconds for it to catch. In other words, it free-revs for about 3 seconds before the OD band kicks in. He claims a mild setting on the Mod.

Has anyone alse experienced these problems (other than those who didn't get their OD band properly attached)? Or is this just a worn out tranny that was modded?

If this is a reoccuring problem, I want to avoid modding my freshly rebuilt to the point that this occurs - probably altering the holes sizes to minimize this behavior.

If so, what OD piston do you have?
What settings did you mod your plate to?

Anyone?
There's a section in the artilce that explains in detail what is needed to keep this from happening.I don't remmeber what page..and I'm too tired to go look it up right now..but it is in there.I think it's the wave plate...
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've seen the text to which you refer to. It involves replacing the stock FWD clutch wave plate with one from a 5.4L truck tranny. I believe this is to reduce slippage on high HP applications on 4-2 and 4-3 downshifts, where the clutch slips upon application.

The complaints I refer to involve a slightly different scenario, although I have not personally seen it. It is a several second delay from the release of the clutch to the application of the OD band on 3-4 upshifts. This is more likely related to the high tension 3-4 capacity valve spring in the older valve bodies, although it could be a case of worn out parts.

Just checking if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've j-modded a 6/93 built aode, a 10/94 4r70w, and a 98 model 4r70w and never had the problem in any of the trannies... Of course it's unknown what the person did without being there, but IMO either something was wrong in the VB or the OD band isnt going to live long.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver95Bird
Of course it's unknown what the person did without being there, but IMO either something was wrong in the VB or the OD band isnt going to live long.
That is what I was thinking as well, just wanted to get some input from others who had performed this mod themselves. It would be a simple matter to tighten up the overlap between 3-4 if it was an actual problem.

Thanks for the input,
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in