My Jmod experience - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

My Jmod experience

I would not be posting this now if something had gone wrong. I hope all the text in this shows up in the search when someone needs help at 3 am...

Blah blah blah, drained fluid, VB off, everythings good. Replace 1-2, 2-3, leave OD and R alone, put VB back in.

Now the good part. We go to shift into gears, and the shifter would not make it past N. Pretty tee'd off at this point, we call it a night around 3. Today we look at the VB again, and we notice the rod that engages each gear is not sliding back enough to hit D. We tweak the rod on the main control and it's a tight fit, but the leverage of the shifter lets me shift good enough. We thought it was the rooster comb, the bar and wheel that runs over that, but it wasn't.

Fixed : 1st slipping, chirps into 2nd.
TC shudder @ 40mph
Aftermath : nice shifting, no 1-2 chirp at about 90% throttle (oh well)

I am hoping 1st keeps up and stays in tact, and that the TC shudder/gear selector do not fail on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 05:42 PM

Not to be smart, here, but it sounds like you got the manual lever into the wrong slot on the manual control valve. This is a common mistake.
Nothing you did to the VB should have affected the alighment of these parts, and nothing should have been needed to be adjusted afterwards.

Look here to confirm that you placed it into the correct slot:

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/...ShiftLever.jpg

This will mess things up if you continue to drive it, and it is in the wrong slot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanG

Fixed : 1st slipping, chirps into 2nd.
TC shudder @ 40mph
Aftermath : nice shifting, no 1-2 chirp at about 90% throttle (oh well)
Can you describe your 1st gear slipping? I've dunno if that's what my car's been doing, but I'd like a description of what yours does for comparison, if you don't mind.

As for no 1-2 chirp, what type of tires/wheels do you have? Stock? Aftermarket?

I've heard it's a good idea to go back in and tighten the VB up after a few days of driving due to the gaskets settling....maybe that helps? I haven't had time to do it (take the VB out), so I am not sure. That, and the fact my car is down for the count, so I've not bothered either.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!

Last edited by 66dvlbrd68; 03-21-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Greg, we had the lever in the right slot, it was not sliding back enough to engage Drive. We had to twist it as we tapped it to get it in and sliding.

The 1st slipping was pretty bad. If I started in 1st you would feel the trans wobble slightly. In drive it would kick into 2nd, and at WOT it would either chirp, or hold first gear longer than it should (1/4 mile would be 1/2nd only, it shifted into 3rd right as I passed the marker.)

My fluid was nice and brown, and burnt. I think the slip was either low/crappy fluid, the bad 1-2 accum, or both.

I have BFG "Revelations" on stock 15inch wheels. They are pretty much the best BFG touring tires, before you get into performance. I don't really care if 1-2 doesn't chirp, I am just happy that I can peel out from a dead start When 1-2 does shift, it is firm and hurls into 2nd. I assume if there were less tread on them or rain on the ground it would chirp/break the read end loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in