Shutter fix for a '94 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Angry Shutter fix for a '94 (did not work!)

The '94 Tbird has been shuttering for about 6 months now. It shutters into overdrive and then it seems to shutter again on the highway at 60-70mph. Is this high-speed shutter normal and can be fixed with mercon V and a cooler or is it some other crap? My sister usually drives the car and is pestering me to fix it. I was planning on draining TC, radiator and dropping the pan. I would replace all the fluid, the filter and install a cooler. Will this in theory prevent the shutter for a while? What kind of cooler should i look at? I was told a B &M one from summitt. Anyone have a link to the cooler install? Thanks.
Adam

Last edited by Annihilator; 08-07-2003 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

I would imagine it would, at the very least, make the shudder better. In my case, it eliminated it completely...just with a filter change and regular Mercon III fluid. That was before I knew better. Make sure you use Mercon V synthetic fluid. Ford recommends it because it can take the heat better. A tranny cooler will prolong the life of the fluid and preserve the lubricating properties longer.

It is really recommended that you change the 1-2 accumulator piston and springs (if desired) as a preventative measure. It is a new, revised design. The original pistons can cause damage to the accumulator bore and the springs are known to break.

When I changed mine there was no damage (167,000+ miles), and I drove it pretty hard. The parts are relatively cheap too....

See the technical article in the tranny section under Jerry's Mod. You could do the whole modification, but since it's your sister's car, the only thing that might be appropriate is the 1-2 accumulator. Pay attention to that section...and you don't have to drop the valve body to do this one....just remove the pan. That's why it's recommended to do it at a filter change....

Hope this helps....

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 PM

I agree with Rustyul on this one. Changing the fluid to Mercon V after a COMPLETE trans and converter drain and filter change is Ford's TSB recommendation for this problem. If that doesn't work, however, you're probably in line for a new torque converter. This was a problem with these models. The new design TCs were upgraded with 7/8" larger internal clutches. Internal leakage in the valve body, or a worn out transmission could also cause these symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:01 PM

BMM-70268 from Summit, $ 45, about 14 qts or Merc V $ 50-$60. While your down there do the J-Mod. You won't be sorry, I'd swear I have a turbo 350 in the Tbird now. If you let go longer you'll start to see the shudder going from 2'nd to 3'rd as well. I have also noticed that the engine temp is consistantly cooler now too.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Are you saying the that if i do the full flush and filter change and not the jmod, it will start shuttering again?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 PM

No, I'm not saying that at all, but there have been others on the board who have had that happen to them. Maybe the friction material on their clutchplates was worn excessively before switching to the Merc V. If you only get the shudder between the 3-4 shift you should be fine. The Jmod will clean up all the slop in the shift and you'll feel like you have a car and not a lazy pig. I went with the mild setting on mine figuring I was getting a chip and like I said I would swear I have a t350 sitting between the engine and drive shaft. Around town you won't notice much except much cleaner shifts, on the highway and downshifts is complete difference, like night and day. If you want that neck snapping feel, go for the 300hp +. Very complete write up by A-train in the tech articles. Your 1-2 upper spring may already be in several pieces, most people relate the same condition when they drop the accumulator. I know mine was.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:24 PM

The JMod is for shift firmness (mostly).
No, it will not really effect this problem - you don't have to do this.
The studdering is from broken down fluid and a bad TC design.
Read this:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-...tsb-98-8-7.pdf

There have been more than 50 TSB's released related to this problem, including recomendations to change the fluid, converter, re-program the ECC, coolers, etc, etc.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Shutter has returned even after i replaced the fluid with 12 quarts of motorcraft mercon V fluid and a new filter. So im guessing the TC is shot to ****? If so, where can i get a Mark 8 or similar TC that won't piss out?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
if a proper fluid change does not fix it then install a new converter.

Trans fluid in these cars really needs to be changed every 15-20k and kept cool and free of debris.

Now might be a good time to replace the whole transmission, if you have a few extra bucks and do it right.

You will be dropping the 94 trans anyway to install the converter, and mine as well put a newer 4r70w in there.

I am using a 98 mark8 transmission with good results so far, it came with the mark8 converter.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:07 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you make sure you got all the fluid out of the radiator and all?, also did you add the trans-cooler? When I did mine I did the whole nine yards, J-mod, cooler and fluid switch. From what I understand if you didn't get all the fluid out when it mixes it will sludge up, and cause further problems. The tech articles by A-train about the shift kit install detail the process very well, you might also want to look at the next one concerning the valve body modification.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:11 PM

just wanted to add another thing.

Once you flush the system properly (read tech articles)

It would be a good idea to put an inline magnetic filter on the cooler line to catch the sludge before it gets back into the transmission.

JH
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:19 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
not to sidetrack, but I havn't seen anyting relating to this

my car has a tranny lil cooler mounted horizontal in front of the bumper

I it looks stock, I was wondering if it is or if someone had the brains to put one on before i bought the car

Mostly stock...

For now...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM

no thats your factory power steering cooler, not a transmission cooler.

JH
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:44 PM

I'll second the vote on the P/S cooler.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Ya i flushed it correctly and made sure everything was done correctly. The 1-2 spring was replaced at a dealer a while back. We just flushed and filled RyanG's system and his doesn't shutter and there is no gear slipage. Justin, where did you get your torque converter? The fluid was red and was not burnt either. The only thing left is a sh itty converter. A cooler would help but it wouldnt solve/fix the TC problem.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:37 PM
6th Gear Poster

I got my MK VIII TC from Five Star Ford, shipped to my door with MK VIII flexplate, new TC nuts and new crank bolts for just under $290. I get $50 back when I return the old TC.

The TC from the FSF was a Ford remanufactured unit and it had no drain plug. I'm a little bummed with that and don't know what I'll choose to do when the time comes to change the fluid.

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:48 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
no thats your factory power steering cooler, not a transmission cooler.

JH
thanks for the info

I would have investigated it further, but it started raining during my oil change and havn't been back under the car since

Since when do cars need coolers for PS?

Mostly stock...

For now...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If the Mercon V does not eliminate the shudder, then the TC is toasted and should be replaced ASAP. Toasted TCs kill trannies in a hurry - i've been on the bad end of pre-11/94 TCs TWICE and they blow.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok, how about a crappy 3-4 accumulator spring? I went to 2 shops, one said that the TC is toast and had no trans codes and Aamco said the TC was fine and had trans codes. Its a '94 and comes with crappy springs anyway. It shudders and vibrates when shifting into 4th gear. Its either the TC or the trans. Could it just be the 3-4 accumulator spring? It's my sisters car and i really want to get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
Adam
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 10:53 PM

Not sure about a 3-4 accumulator, the j-mod has you replace the 2-3 accumulator and spring. Fourth is o/d and my understanding is that it is a servo like the reverse. What condition are the u-joints in? Not saying to go looking everywhere else, just a thought. I know on mine I had to do the U-joints, rear end links and differential bushings all at the same time which decreased the rear end shimmy to the point of decreased shudder but was still there, then I found this site and zeroed in on it quick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in