MLPS or Reuild AODE? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

MLPS or Reuild AODE?

My 94 Mustang GT AODE (65K miles) has started slipping in and out of Over-drive at highway speeds. The problem isn't consistant (I have driven over 200 miles without a problem, then the next day it will act up on the way to work.)

I have also noticed it seem to get confused when trying to downshift at low speeds (i.e. if I punch it when I am at 20 mph, it revs but doesn't engage 1st gear right away). This problem has only occured 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months. The car is bone stock, and I don't really drive it all that hard.

Does this sound like it could be a bad MLPS? Is there somethine else I should look for? Any advice is welcome. I am trying not to spend too much on it now becuase I want to go with a serious "built" transmission once the budget allows, but right now the budget does not allow : )

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:30 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to supercharged95
hate to break it to you, but your best bet is going to be to convert to five-speed. I've had numerous friends with sn95 stangs, and one of them had an automatic. The aode went bad on his car. He rebuilt it 3 times, then decided to swap in a t-5. He's had zero problems since then. You can check out stangnet for more info on the swap. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 11:38 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Supercharged95 that OPINION of yours helps answer his question HOW. Now back to the point yes those symtoms are consistant with a malfunctioning MLPS it's certainly worth the $40 to buy one and install it before you look into rebuilds.....conversions etc that cost thousands

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
4th Gear Poster

Well, he wanted to know if he should replace his mlps or rebuild his aode. I had a friend in his shoes that decided to rebuild his aode and not long after the rebuild it crapped out again. Yes,it was my opinion and the conversion didn't cost THOUSANDS of dollars. It costed under $800 including the price of the tranny
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
4th Gear Poster

Just one more thing sn95-5.0:
You're skating on thin ice driving your stange day after day as well. My friend's stang did this, then one day it slipped out of gear and wouldn't go back in. When my transmission started slipping he said the exact same thing to me. I limped my car back to my parents' house a week later and not much longer after that it wouldn't shift out of second gear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

For my daily driver (this car) I want to stick with an auto tranny (for me, the fun of running through the gears does not offset the hassle of clutching in bumper-to-bumper traffic). I have owned manuals and autos and for this car I perfer an auto.

I assume once I pick up a new MLPS I can change it out pretty easilly (just pull the pan and un-bolt it?)

Thanks again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:26 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Actually the MLPS is attached to the outside of the trans so even easier. It's held on with two bolts and is located where the shift cable attaches. I replaced mine at roughly 93,000 and now have 207K on my origional trans.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in