4R70W leaking issues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

4R70W leaking issues

Bought a new house with a garage, and started noticing puddles of oil under my '97 Thunderbird. Looking underneath it at where it came from I thought "uh-oh, my rear main seal is out, at least it's not a front-wheel drive" (I had a Chevrolet Beretta do it, and rather than mess with all that, I just kept feeding it oil.) Closer inspection revealed that the fluid was red, not brown, but it's coming from the same area, and there appears to be a big fold in a rubber seal that goes around the bell-housing. Looking at this thread (http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=20414) it looks like I have a TC seal out. I assume that the TC means "Torque Converter" ? Autozone doesn't list a part for a Torque Converter seal, though. Is it possible that this is called something different? I don't mind the labor if I can get the right part because money's a little tight right now. Luckily I have a second car now so I can run and get parts even once it's apart, but what's the rough procedure for this? I presume I'll have to disconnect the drive shaft and drop the transmission, probably to get to it.
Any insight and part numbers from Autozone or O-Reilly or Napa would be wonderful.

Joshua Cooper

1997 Black T-Bird LX 3.8, custom painted interior, hand stitched vinyl backseat, oversized K&N cone filter, air silencer removed, painted some engine components, door solenoids for shaved door handles, Black Widow security system, wired to open Driver's door when disarmed, Dynomax 2.5" exhaust, battery box moved to trunk, custom grill inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 04:18 PM

If the red tranny fluid is coming form the bellhousing, then either your front seal is gone, the converter has a leak, or the pump housing O-ring has gone south.

All the factory converters have a drain plug, it could be loose. Remove the round rubber plug from the botton of the bellhousing and rotate the engine IN IT'S NORMAL DIRECTION OF ROTATION, until you see it. If the tranny has an aftermarket or rebuilt TC, it MAY NOT have a drain plug. If the TC drain is not lose, and the housing is full of fluid, you will haved to pull the transmisssion for further inspection.

The front (stator shaft) seal is commonly available, it's about $5.00. Check with your local APD or Transtar dealer, or Ford. The pump flange gasket and O-Ring are available from the same locations, and should cost about $6.00. The front of the trans will have to come apart to replace the latter.

If I have misuderstood your question, and you actually need a tailshaft housing seal (more common), same places, equivalant prices. Remove driveshaft, pry out seal, CHECK BUSHING, replace seal, wipe grease on the lips of seal, replace driveshaft. If the bushing is worn, no amount of new seals will stop it permanently. Remove housing and take to machine shop to have new bushing pressed in.

FWIW
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Nope, you're right, it's the front by the bellhousing. I'd never seen anything but oil from the rear main seal come from that area, but it's tranny fluid. I'll have to collect those parts and do it all at the same time. The torque converter from a Mark VIII fits fine and it's an upgrade? I'll probably just do it all at the same time

Joshua Cooper

1997 Black T-Bird LX 3.8, custom painted interior, hand stitched vinyl backseat, oversized K&N cone filter, air silencer removed, painted some engine components, door solenoids for shaved door handles, Black Widow security system, wired to open Driver's door when disarmed, Dynomax 2.5" exhaust, battery box moved to trunk, custom grill inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in