J-mod for an AOD - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

J-mod for an AOD

Hello. New member and have enjoyed browsing here for a while. I am looking at doing the J-mod on my wife's T-bird here shortly but my question is about my truck.

It is a 71 F00 with a 351Windsor and an AOD. My 1st to 2nd shift leaves a little to be desired. It is'nt sloppy but not near as firm as 3rd or OD, I bought the tranny as a newly rebuilt unit so really don't know anything about it. I am using the Lokar TV cable. Will the J-mod work on an AOD or only the newer trannys.
Also, is there anyway to lower the shift points? I'm running a 3.70 gear and when I lay into it it shifts at about 4900 RPM's. I know the 4.6's love this but it is just too high for my 351W's valve springs. I need to replace them but have'nt had the cash,
Sorry for the first post being so long but thanks for any help or suggestions
Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

you can't J-mod an AOD. Your best bet is a shift kit from B&M or Lentech.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response anyway.
Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
i got a shift kit from baumann for like $60. it is for the aod, and from what i hear, they work awesome. i'm just waiting to get mine installed.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The reason the 3rd and 4th shifts are harder is in the design: AODs have full time lockup of the torque converter in those gears... meaning it shifts more like a manual than an automatic. Usually the TC slips a little and that slippage makes the shifts (1-2, 2-1, 3-2) seem softer. So don't worry, this is normal and it was a common complaint of AOD owners. Most complained the 3rd and 4th were too harsh.

You could try adjusting the TV (kickdown) cable for the shifts... but be careful, the cable also controls the line pressure, and you really really don't want that too low. Theres a tech article on this, look it up

Tom

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help fellows. The AOD I have has been rebuilt and I'm pretty sure the lock-up torque convertor was not used. The input shaft has only 2 sections. Inner and outer shaft. I know when it goes into OD I never feel it lock-up. I'm using a Lokar TV cable and had alot of trouble getting it to work right using there directions. Trans would'nt shift at all using pressure gauge. Finnally out of desperation and guidance from a couple sites just tightend up the cable and drove it. Had to keep adjusting it to get it right but it seems to be working. I have about 3k miles on it so far and still crossing my fingers.Alot of sites show how to adjust the TV cable but not when using the Lokar cable. I was dissapointed in Lokar and there ability to help. Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help and suggestions
Clint.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

FYI: If you have a 2 piece input shaft, you still have lockup. The direct clutch (aptly named) uses the inner shaft, which is splined directly to splines in the TC which don't slip. Elimination of the lockup is by using a 1 piece input shaft. The 1 piece shaft will make the car shift smoother, and may feel more torquey in low throttle 3rd/4th gear, but it is losing gas mileage and high RPM HP.

examples of 1 piece shafts:
http://www.levelten.com/store/ford/i...iece_shaft.htm
http://www.tciauto.com/ford/ford_aod.htm

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could remeber exackly what mine looked like. It seems like it had an outer shaft and an inner shaft so I guess it is lock up. Only thing is it does'nt lock up so I guess I have some problems yet. I bought it from a guy who had it in a Mustang but it had been rebuilt about 4k miles before. he was going back to a T-5. He said it had a 4x4 torque comvertor in it. I had the reciept for the work done on it but it did'nt go into any detail. I know it was for over $1200 in work though. Thanks for the info, guess I'll drive it til it blows and then figure it out. Seems to be doing great so far.
Clint
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
There are many many (yes, the rare double-many) places that sell AOD torque converters. Jeg's has an entire page in their catalog for them, many of which are of the lock-up variety. Look around, call some local tranny shops, you'll find something you need.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in