tranny clunks and jerky shifting? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

tranny clunks and jerky shifting?

With my rear end jacked up if and the tranny in park if i rock the rear wheels back and fourth I can hear a easily noticed clunk coming from withing the tranny pan. Also if I let the car shift and don't let off the gas a bit the car will do a back'n'forth jerk real quick instead of a smooth shift. Does this sound like a serious problem starting or something maybe I could fix easily by removing the tranny pan and maybe updating some stuff. I really don't know diddly about transmissions, so with that in mind does this sound like something better left up to a professional? Thanks for any advice and infromation that will help me get this taken care of, greatly appreciated.

PS - It's worse once the car's been running a while, it's not so bad when it's cooled off overnight or for a few hours. I'm running a single 20"x10"x3/4" tranny cooler, 24,000 - 28,000 GVW if I remember correctly - is this enough or should I add a second one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 08:18 PM
PostWhore

Mine does the same exact thing ... i believe it to be my 2-3 shift accumulator for the rough upshifts. and havent found the rocking back and forth and clunk.

I dont know of what else causes it ... it has been this way for about 1 1/2 yrs,since i bought the car, and just today i noticed my tranny slipped in first. another problem and reason im in this fourom

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 09:16 PM

As for your clunck when in Park, there is a steel 'ball' that engages tangs on the planetary hub when you are in park. It will clunk when rotated back and forth - this is normal.

Actually, there are a number of things in this tranny that are noticably slack, including the output shaft to planetary cover splines, the reverse drum hub tangs to the reverse sun hub, and the intermediate steels to case. These can all make a variety of noises.

FWIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Are the accumulator within the tranny pan and how hard are they to swap out? If the output shaft splines are worn and causing the jerking? How easy is that to change?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 09:54 AM
PostWhore

Nola- The 1-2 accumulator can be changed by only dropping the pan ... the 2-3 though requires you to drop the valve body. I figure I might as well do the j-mod when i have the vb down. Both the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators and springs have been updated.

What is the long-term affects of the 2-3 accumulator leaking or broken springs?

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
What is the long-term affects of the 2-3 accumulator leaking or broken springs?
Case wear in the accumulator bore is one serious side effect of the aluminum accumulators. The 1-2 almost ALWAYS does this to some extent. If it gets bad enough, the transmission case is junk.

Broken springs will cause harsh shifting, and sometimes the lower 1-2 spring will cock the cover and cause fluid pressure loss resulting in intermediate clutch burnout.
The lower 1-2 spring breaks frequently, the 2-3 doesn't.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

After it warm ups the 1-2 clunk is only noticable when it shifts at less than 3K, and the 2-3 shift are usually smooth, but sometimes as bad as the 1-2 is, and when I'm coasting above 50 is I let off the gas for a second or two, when I get back on you hear a clunk. How much do transmission shops usually charge to update to the newer accumulators?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 02:15 AM

The clunking will not be fixed with the accumulators.
I would check for a bad u-joint, lose driveshaft bushing, or a shot one-way in the tranny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in