PI Stallion - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

PI Stallion

Has anyone had problems with the Stallion shuddering at lock-up? How is the warranty? I change my fluid every 25,000 miles and haven't had it to the strip.
I took it to a shop and the tech said the tranny is awesome, he had never seen one that good, however the TC was slipping at lock-up.
Thanks, Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:17 PM

You're kidding, right? In case you aren't, changing your transmission fluid (including draining the torque converter) and refilling it with Mercon V transmission fluid and installing a concentric plate style transmission cooler should do the trick. Most folks seem to prefer a 24000 # GVW or bigger cooler. I put a B&M 18k # GVW cooler on my car at 30k miles and filled it with Mercon V and the shudder at torque converter lockup was gone instantly and permanently. If that doesn't cure the problem, you're probably going to need to replace the torque converter. Most folks who replace it use a Mark VIII TQ in place of the T-bird one and I think you need to change your flywheel as well if you go that route. I might be wrong on the flywheel though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 PM

Wow, what advise, change your $900 torque converter for an inferior one, what a thought.

I would imagine that with the money in that tranny, he's got a cooler, and uses Mercon V. The problem is obviously in the converter.

To answer your question, I have a lot of Mustang friends running Stallions, and one of them sent his back to be rebuilt because of a shutter, so I guess it's just something that happens after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:15 PM

Rich is it really necessary to post a reply like that? I obviously didn't know or realize that the guy had tons of money in his tranny or TC. Try lightening up a bit, eh?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 10:45 AM

Single or Multidisc?
On a different message board the "wise-one" suggested that the Single disc PI converter is only good for 275-300rwtq in lockup and he had seen even brand-new ones slipping on the dyno at 300rwtq and suggested a Multidisc one for over 300rwtq. Even for my 3.8L (soon to be vorteched) I opted for the multidisc.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 12:45 PM

Warped, The title of the thread is PI Stallion, that says it all right there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich95XR7
Warped, The title of the thread is PI Stallion, that says it all right there.
For all I knew Rich he was directing the subject to a poster named PI Stallion. Again, try lightening up a bit eh? Not everyone is as knowledgeable or up to date on the hot product of the week as some are.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Warped... PI Stallion is a VERY well known brand.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:48 PM

Well known product or not Greenbird, I've never heard of it and I've been reading these boards for somewhere around 4 or 5 years now. Does the PI Stallion being a well known product make the style of Rich's response any more appropriate?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:01 PM

Let me apologize, I can come across a little harsh sometimes, but, PI Stallion is a well known brand on here, and when most people see the word "slipping" on this board, they automatically post tranny cooler and Mercon V. But most don't take the time to read the entire post and try to understand it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start anything. I was just wondering how well they stood with their warranty. It seems pretty good, I've contacted them and they want the code #. I'll let you all know how it all works out.
Yes I use Mercon V, change every 30,000, have the biggest B&M plate cooler hard-tubed (after radiator) to a custom-built bracket right behind the birdy hole, mods are listed in sig...if I have more than 250ponies they snuck in there when I wasn't looking (or the man did a magic flash for me).
BMan.

Oh yeah, two mods not listed:
K&N stock-box filter and

Last edited by BMan; 08-20-2003 at 06:13 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:58 PM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
that's a nice picture of your intake. you could submerge and that thing'd be safe for a bit. unlike a previous experience of my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in