hosed? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

hosed?

Ok...for the masses.

We just got done doing the engine rebuild aside from some here and there misc bs. Basically done. I also did the j-mod while it was in the air. I did the under 300 hp setting. Of course like a moron, I drop the OD servo thinking it was a 2-3 accumulator. So we get it back up and take her for a spin and hey no 4th or OD. So knowing I probably hosed something up when i dropped the OD, I deduce that I didnt line up the band. With the new job and school i decide to just pay a tranny shop "Hanks" to do it for me. Less messy and less time.

Well after I pick it up from Hank's they tell me that there is a small flare up when i engage the OD. Wrong. I dont have 3rd gear. It actually slips into it after a while. On a straight throttle...forget it. Sometimes when its cold it will. Usually not. So Im talkin to A-train and he wants me to find out what OD servo they used so I ask them. One of "Hank's" guys cant find the box and comes runnin up to us with a part sayin here. I was like "thats not the OD servo, thats the 2-3 accumulator." "well.....i found that when we dropped the valvebody. there was also some springs missing in there too." Springs....no. Just the 1-2 spring. I didnt follow up on the spring(s) comment. And it was chipped on the top of the accumulator too, i saw that. Now I know for a fact that lil bi*** was tight as hell up there. They never told me bout this 2-3 when i picked it up. I figured they lined up my OD as I asked and that was it. I do have my OD.

Could there be something done that they f***ed up my tranny? Theyre saying my direct clutch is going bad.

So now i have 3rd slipping in and out. Should I still ride around town in it? (to fro work?) Theyre talking a 1200.00 rebuild. **** that. Im broke as hell after the engine rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:16 AM

What an experience, eh?
First of all, did 3rd work before you took it in to the shop? If it did, then they probably either:

1 - used the old valve body gasket or ripped the new one putting it in,
2 - torqued the Valve Body wrong or not at all,
3 - put wrong parts in or replaced parts that you had intentionally left out,
4 - the possibilities are endless.

Hey, I won't even let a tire shop put my car on the rack, I carry in the rims!
I have had so many bad things happen in the hands of others that I have no trust left for them at all - broken windshields, stripped lug nuts, bent chassis, etc. And they always deny that they had anything to do with it... It was like that! Yea...

Anyway, if the clutchs are slipping, I wouldn't drive it unless you are ready to overhaul it - but it may just be time for it. The stock tranny's don't last very long.
And a slipping clutch pack lasts even less...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Check your valvebody bolt torque. When I reinstalled mine it did not have 3rd either. A good re-torqueing fixed that. When it was leaking it would shift:

First (engaged/held normally)

Second (engaged/held normally)

Third (would only engage under anything less than 50% throttle, and only for like 1/2 second)

Fourth (worked ok, but slow to engage)

I called TransGo and they said it was probably a crossleak and that I should retighten the vb bolts, I did, and it fixed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 07:47 PM

I know you don't want to hear this, but it might be worth it to take the valvebody out and check the servo and accumulators, and the valvebody gaskets, then re-assemble with the proper torque, just to check all the stuff those Einsteins might have screwed up. Cheaper than a total rebuild you might not need yet.

Like Greg said - I don't trust anyone unless I'm certain they know what to do, and will do it right. Paying a bit more for getting it done right is always cheaper than the cost of cleaning up someone else's mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in