94 cougar's 4r70w doesnt want to go through all the gears. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

94 cougar's 4r70w doesnt want to go through all the gears.

I'm asking this for a friend of mine. He told me that his 94 cat will go into first and then only go into OD. He thinks it's an electronic problem.
I think it might be an accumilater or piston problem. Anyone esle know what may cause such a problem? He said other than changing the filter he hasnt touched the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

A good place to start with '94 transmissions is the "MLPS" (Manual Lever Position Sensor). Apparently the '94 trans is notorious for having faulty MLPS's.

It's not too expensive and wouldn't take too long...

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 04:23 AM

Now I have a 95 Bird and I am having similar problems with it..

Put it in drive.. accelerate in first.. it will bypass second gear and go directly into 3rd and then to OD.

Manually place the lever into second gear but the tranny starts slipping like it is not engaging all the way.

110k miles. 4.6.

All I can say is the tranny worked great the day before it happened.. Good strong positive shifts under normal accel or WOT.

Is the tranny the same as the 94 stated above? 4r70W right? or is the 94 an AODE?

MLPS? Where is that located?

Mucho Thanks in advance.
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
the trans is a 4R70W.

The MLPS is on the side of the case, do a search, there have been quite a few posts over the past few months on replacing it.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:13 AM

Wel does not sound like the MLPS to me.. I'll just let the tranny fry.. then set the Thunderchicken on fire..

First Ford.. Last Ford.. I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotordemon20B
Wel does not sound like the MLPS to me.. I'll just let the tranny fry.. then set the Thunderchicken on fire..

First Ford.. Last Ford.. I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
Unless you get a 'real' car like a 'Vette, F-body, or Impala SS (the ones built off of the Caprice body), enjoy FWD.

It's your car, do what you want...I'd try to fix it...this way you could at least sell it for whatever GM car you want.

Oh, and don't think I'm some "Anti everything else" Ford guy...I am planning on getting an '02 Trans Am when I graduate next year...

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 08:31 PM

I noticed one other thing wierd about it..

Dead stop I can put it into manual 2nd gear.. and it will not slip from a dead stop WOT to redline.. But I was thinking about it while reading up on the MLPS being vunerable to getting wet.

The last day that the transmission worked was a day that we had heavy rains. Drove home.. watched some TV, went to sleep and the next day it would go from 1st gear to 3rd and then overdrive, so whatever it was.. it went quick.

took it to a tranny shop last week and they said I blew a snap ring, it will be $1895 to rebuild the transmission.. I am like Yeah RIGHT! I fear automatics. First thing that came to mind was an accumulator was stuck or it needs a flush/fill and a filter.

What I said above was just out of pure stress.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 08:52 PM
PostWhore

$1895 for a rebuild???? You could get one that is a million times better for less than that....

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen C
I'm asking this for a friend of mine. He told me that his 94 cat will go into first and then only go into OD. He thinks it's an electronic problem.
I think it might be an accumilater or piston problem. Anyone esle know what may cause such a problem? He said other than changing the filter he hasnt touched the tranny.
my best guess is that one of the shift solenoids is stuck in the on position.. dont remember which one off hand, but the solenoids come all as one piece. They run about $40 at the ford dealer, and install fairly simply... do require dropping the tranny pan though.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Put it in drive.. accelerate in first.. it will bypass second gear and go directly into 3rd and then to OD.Manually place the lever into second gear but the tranny starts slipping like it is not engaging all the way. 110k miles. 4.6. All I can say is the tranny worked great the day before it happened.. Good strong positive shifts under normal accel or WOT. Is the tranny the same as the 94 stated above? 4r70W right? or is the 94 an AODE? MLPS? Where is that located? -Mike
First check the fluid level to make sure its right. The 2nd gear problem could be due to the leaky aluminum accumulator... if that hasnt been upgraded, do it. that should be done regardless. if that doesnt help, then i'd check the line pressures and the resistances of the MLPS. This should help avoid spending unnecessary $. 4r70w tranny... the MLPS is the sensor on the outside of the tranny by the linkage.

Tom

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 AM

Thank you very much Tom.. Gonna check that out tomorrow.. I know the Fluid is full and does not smell burnt.

Thanks again!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
Hope you didn't mean that cuz if you don't want her I do...Gimme Gimme Gimme!!

Quote:
...I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
You sure 'bout that? You sure that you're sure? Ok Good you can have my beAt3R...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in