Fubar's Ghetto T fitting - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Fubar's Ghetto T fitting

I've had a couple people now ask me about "how'd I do that" with the temp sender.

...think i should make a write up on it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 01:08 PM

Is that for the coolant temp or Trans temp?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

trans or ..well oil if you wanted it to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Cougar Pilot

Yeah maybe you should whip something up. Couldn't take very long, and of course it would be helpful. I get the general idea of what you did from the picture alone, but that doesn't mean I could replicate it without knowing what size fittings you're using and everything.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:49 PM
ice_nyne

Fub-

I second the motion. Many on this site (myself included) are in the putting their tranny cooler in sometime in the very near future, and with the increase in discussions about monitoring tranny temp, it sounds like many are also considering putting in an autometer. I mean, I get the basic idea as well, but there could be something I'm missing behind the scenes. Go for it, and watch the accolades roll in.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:35 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Fubarian
...think i should make a write up on it??
Please do! Either that or I'll end up having to drop a few bucks over at Jegs!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

hehe, anyone wanna send me their temp sender? just kiddin -- I'll go down to jegs and pick up another T fitting sometime this week/weekend and make another one from scratch so I'll have some nice pictures (of course) for the how-to. Gotta go down there anyway for my remote oil filter, I've had it with the mark and changin oil on that.... Anyway, if anyone would want it after I'm done, lemme know, you pay shipping and it'll be -6AN and please make sure you can use it, don't want it to go to waste.

I'll also use "poor man's tools" -- no fancy stuff like a drill press or nothin, just a good ole drill and maybe a vice. One thing you will need is a tap set which is good to have anyway.

Still waitin on someone to do the AN fittin' job to someone's car....(no I haven't forgotten about that, just been biiizzy)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

oo, before I forget, one draw-back I'll need to address is that the AL fitting does NOT conduct electricity. Why is this bad?? The sender's bottom 1/2 is suppost to be grounded. Right now I've got it jimmy rigged because I didn't have time to do it the fubar way (it was late ok?). Hmm....maybe I could use the stainless one and swap mine out. Yay, new easy project for me!

*edit*
found one!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Gauge master

Send a message via Yahoo to scotthrbacek
OK, I'm looking into doing the same thing. I assume that the fitting needs to be -5 for the flared connections on the 5/16" lines. Also, I look through the AutoMeter gauge catalog, and I see that the temp sender is 1/8". Is that 1/8" NPT? If so, would this fitting work?

This tee fitting has the male -5 SAE 37 deg flare on each end and a female 1/8" NPT connection at the "tee".

If so, then would this make things easier? It is an Aeroquip P/N 2031-2-5S. I'm working on getting a price on that fitting.

Scott

A book sale at the library? Why even bother? Why would I want to buy a book, when I didn't want it for free?

-Homer Simpson
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

yes, the temp sender is a pipe thread and I really don't fell like registering with eaton right now, but I think (keyword, THINK) that the stock fittings are 1/8th pipe as well.

And furthermore, yes it would make it easier since grounding could be done with the steel lines (goes alllll the way back to the trans )
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:25 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
HEy Fubarian........if I were you, I'd do a write up on it. Gotta question for ya, how much of a cost saving is it over getting a T-housing from Summit or Jegs??? Just courious......I've sen them listed in the mags before, but not for awhile. I didn't have the money for it anyways, so I just used a brass T-Fitting with the provided bushing. OH, the T-fitting was also NPT and removed the factory connection, and then just screwed mine in place....works great.

ANyways, do the write up.....I can say it looks better than my setup, with your's being all anodized and stuff. *S* MAybe this week when I'm in the engine bay cleaning, I'll take a few pics off mine. Didn't mean to take the spotlite away from ya or anything.

Oh, don't forget to let me know who---if anyone----is comeing up for Jay's open house next weekend!!!!!

Later
Slowride

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Gauge master

OK, I just got off the phone with the place that has these fittings. The place that I was going to get info from stopped carrying Aeroquip, so I had to go to another place.

A direct replacement for the Aeroquip part that I listed above is a Parker 5OBTX. I got a price quote of $8.27 for the Tee fitting and the SAE 37 degree tube fittings and ferrules required to connect to the 5/16" tube.

Sometime in the near future, I will get one of these and let you know how it works. I guess I'll have to get a trans temp gauge too.

Scott

A book sale at the library? Why even bother? Why would I want to buy a book, when I didn't want it for free?

-Homer Simpson
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Veteran Poster

Keep me posted on the progress of this project. I want to get my tranny temp guage hooked up soon, but I don't want to pay Summit's insanely high prices; as well as, their so called "shipping and handling charges"

'97 Sport Option'd T-Bird
DSS Shortblock, PI Heads, 262AH Cams, Kooks, SVO SC with stock pulley,
42 lb injectors, 70mm TB, '02 GT MAF, Vogtland Springs, Mk VIII DS,
Marauder TC, 17" SVT T-Bird Rims, Michelin PS2 235/50/17, True Duals,
4.10 gears, J-modded tranny
300RWHP 335RWTQ
Member of www.midwestthundercats.com

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Quote:
Originally posted by scotthrbacek
Sometime in the near future, I will get one of these and let you know how it works. I guess I'll have to get a trans temp gauge too.
Is it a steel one or an alum? (does the damn thing conduct electricity?)

I wasn't able to make it to jegs last weekend -- this weekend looks a little better though. We'll see though.

...I guess this is the downfall to having a fulltime job eh?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 AM
Veteran Poster

You finally got a job???? *LMAO* Hey, don't forget about Jayson's thing this weekend. Let me know if you're coming up and if anyone else is coming.

LAter bud!
Steve
(Slowride)

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Gauge master

The fitting is steel. It does conduct electricity. Just for the record, so does aluminum. In fact, aluminum is a better conductor than steel.

Silver is the best conductor and therefore is rated as a "100", aluminum (Al) has a conductivity rating of 63, copper (Cu) is 97.61, gold (Au) is 76.61, carbon steel is 12. The higher the rating, the better of a conductor the metal is.

All this info came from the Machinery's Handbook, 23rd edition, p. 398.

This info also makes you wonder why electrical connections are "gold plated". Well, I guess that's better than steel.

Class dismissed.

Anyway, back to the fitting. These are steel because they are industrial hydraulic fittings and they are rated to above 3000 psi. You should be able to find a local Parker dealer in almost any town.

Scott

-Homer Simpson
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:07 PM

electrical connections are gold plated cause gold doesn't corrode
just a little FYI
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
If anyone wants my $.02. Do what i did when I had an auto trans. If you have the pan off already, just drill a hole in the pan and have the bung for the sending unit brazed into the pan. Then thread in the sending unit. THIS will give you 2 ADVANTAGES. The FIRST...its grounded already right away. SECOND....you now have a drain plug!!!! Chris

By the way, my transmission is for sale. OR if anyone wants the pan and sending unit including the guage. I can arrange for you to send me your stock pan and $50.00 (my sipping back to you included in price) and I will send you my modified pan and autometer phantom temp guage!!!

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Quote:
Originally posted by scotthrbacek
The fitting is steel. It does conduct electricity. Just for the record, so does aluminum. In fact, aluminum is a better conductor than steel.
I know how energy flows. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally posted by CobraRThunder
If anyone wants my $.02. Do what i did when I had an auto trans. If you have the pan off already, just drill a hole in the pan and have the bung for the sending unit brazed into the pan. Then thread in the sending unit. THIS will give you 2 ADVANTAGES. The FIRST...its grounded already right away. SECOND....you now have a drain plug!!!! Chris
Hehe helps when ya read that lil manual that comes with the gauge eh? I almost did that but for whatever reason, decided against it. I think it was lazyness ....I didn't want to drop my pan.

Anyway, I'm going to jegs this weekend, need some roller rockers -- and I'm going to try to finish up the transcooler article as well. We'll see.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Veteran Poster

Well putting it in the pan is fairly simple and easy, I didn't do that. On the info from a couple of respected shops up here, putting the sensor in the pan may not be as accurate as at the radiator in the return (bottom) line. I also talked to a few gear head friends of mine around here, and they did what I did and not the pan for the same reason, so I guess there's some truth to it. The pnly thing I did that was alittle differrent, is I used a brass T-fitting---works great.

Don't get me wrong, putting it in the pan will give you a temp reading that maybe close., but putting it inline on the return (bottom) line will just be MORE accurrate.

Just my $.02.....and Chris.....that wasn't a flame by any means----just for clarification.

Later.
Slowride
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Veteran Poster

So has anyone come up with a final parts list to make this work and where to get them? Thanks.

300RWHP 335RWTQ

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:45 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Just an FYI I bought all the parts I needed for this in brass at Lowes.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Veteran Poster

Timb: What were the part numbers?

300RWHP 335RWTQ

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:32 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Stay tuned......I'll get some pictures and make a list

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
ice_nyne

Quote:
Originally posted by timb
Stay tuned......I'll get some pictures and make a list
Tim - did you ever get your parts list together?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in