I REALLY need some tranny help guys! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I REALLY need some tranny help guys!

I just bought a 95 4.6 bird with 3.27 posi and have found that when I first turn it on and leave giving her it will get up to 3k RPM and then its like the TC or tranny slips for a few seconds and then it kicks back in to finish the climb up to 5k RPM. It only does it the first few times I pull through the RPMs hard.... then its fine for the rest of the trip/running time. soo... its pulling hard upto 3K then it just hangs there for 3 mabie 4 seconds, the car slowing down while the RPMs gain untill it kicks back in at mabie 3500-4K and up to 5 its all okay again?! Its always from the first few stops pulling thgouh 1st... then its okay! I was okay when this was the only noticable slipage but today I was driving down the highway at like 70KMH in 4th or OD (don't remember but it was only like 1500 RPM) and then I totally loose it! Its like I'm in neutral!! I'm slowing down to almost a stop while reving upto 4K RPM and getting nowhere! I pulled over, put it in park and waited a minute.... then back into drive and its fine the rest of the way to work. WTF is going on? I just bought this thing and its F'd up the first few days I own it!

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 04:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

I hate to do it, but I'm going to ask the obvious...

Have you checked the Tranny fluid level? I'm not a tranny tech or anything, but it sounds like you could have accumulator issues. The 1-2, and 2-3 accumulators probably need replacing with the updated design. It also sounds like there might be some pressure leakage through the valve body passages. While you are checking for the updated accumulators, you could re-torque the valve body. If I remember correctly, you need to remove the valve body to do the 2-3 accumulator, in which case you'll have to replace the gaskets and re-torque anyway.

Sounds like it might be a J-mod gone wrong from the previous owner maybe?

I'm just taking a stab at it from what I've experienced and read.

Of course, you'll have to drain all the fluid and replace it with Mercon V. All of this might take care of your problem, but I'm going to defer to those with a bit more expertise. If it were my car, this is where I would start.

Sorry about your tranny man, but one way or another, it will be OK!

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 05:00 PM

Sounds like low fluid level to me. Check the fluid level with the engine running, in park, and on a level surface. A filter not properly seated in the VB could also do this.

Then check all the things rustyul mentioned as well...

But whatever you do, don't gas it when it's not engaged. If it starts slipping, let off the gas - be patient. Things will break if you keep reving it until it engages...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

well I checked the level and guess what? Its way to... high! Thats right its too high.... I'm willing to bet it started slipping for the past owner and he just kept adding ATF trying to stop it. But if I'm lucky (and I'm not) its the cause of the problem! I shall try to lower the level... how? I'm not sure!

Jake
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 PM

The easiest way would be to drain through the converter drain plug.
But it would behoove you to pull the pan and make certain that the filter is seated properly, and change the filter and fluid at the same time. If the transmission is worn out, however, it's a waste of $40 worth of fluid.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

well I just drained the TC and tranny, checked everything in there but not opening the valve body. then filled it all with MerconV... still slips... what a waste of money! Its gonna cost me like 100 bucks for nothing since I got a shop to do it. I got no garage or tools

crapp!

Jake
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

should I pay mechanics to try and find the problem or should I pay for a rebuild or junkyard tranny? What is a good price for a rebuild? or a good price for a low K MK8 tranny/tc from a junkyard? If I went to a junkyard and did find a 97 tbird or 98 MK8 tranny would it just bolt in or are there different electronics?

Jake
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

as if it wasn't bad enough I just realized the spedo doesent work untill 60 sometimes as it sits at 0 untill 2nd gear or till it hits about 60 and then it jumps up! Gezz... could anything more go wrong with this tranny?

jake
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MN12BIRD
as if it wasn't bad enough I just realized the spedo doesent work untill 60 sometimes as it sits at 0 untill 2nd gear or till it hits about 60 and then it jumps up! Gezz... could anything more go wrong with this tranny?
jake
This doesn't help with your tranny woes, but the speedo problem 'could' be a bad sensor or bad drive gear, but most likely the pointer is sticking in the speedo head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in