AOD Problems in an 89 T-bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

AOD Problems in an 89 T-bird

I just got an 89 t-bird with from my Stepmom since she got a new SUV.

It has a 3.8L Engine and an AOD transmission, with 460K Kms (~ 305K Miles). I'm not to sure what happened before, but my dad said he needed to replace the clutch packs.

Anyways, since he rebuilt the transmission, a new problem has cropped up.

The car starts in First (Either Manual 1, D or OD) no problem. The transmission won't shift into second until the gas pedal is given a little kick. Once it is engaged in second, it will remain in second only as long as the engine is accelerating. If the gas pedal is eased up on, it will drop from second into neutral. If the engine is revved hard, it will engage into second again.

If we keep the gas pedal down it will shift into 3rd at around 90 Kph (56 mph), and again if the pedal is let up, it drops into neutral. We haven't tried to get it into OD.

At first, since this started after he did the first rebuild, we suspected either a faulty reassembly and/or the governor. So, we dropped the transmission again (!!!), opened it up, and double checked every step of the reassembly. Everything was there, exactly as it should be. The governor was working fine.

After we reinstalled the transmission, and took it for a drive we were still having the exact same problem, as noted above...

So, I’ve talked to a friend who works at a transmission shop. He seems to suspect our problem is simply with the TV cable (Both times, we just clipped it back on, with no recalibration).

My Dad talked to a different friend at a different shop. This friend rejected the TV Cable idea, and seems to be of the belief that the clutch kit that he bought may have been missing a clutch disk or two.

The last thing I want to do is drop the transmission a third time. Anyone have any clues what is causing our problems? Has anyone seen or heard of symptoms like these before?

Thanks,
Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:56 PM

Were the Pump clearances in spec?
Did you check all of the clutch pack clearances when assembling?
Check Total End Clearance?
Replace clutch drum piston seals?
You can't just stick in new parts without checking these things - unless you like pulling trannys repeatedly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 AM

Off topic but did i read 305,000 miles????????

WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:03 AM

1-2 upshift or 2-1 downshift problems are usually caused by:

1. Contamination that has clogged the govenor.
2. Contamination in the 1-2 shift valve in the valve body.

The govenor can be changed by removing the tail shaft housing. There is a little valve that should move freely when the tranny is stone cold. The valve body should be removed and thoroughly cleaned. When dropping the pan, look for fine metal particles suspended in the fluid, or in the bottom of the pan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in