'93 Mark VIII shaft - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

'93 Mark VIII drive shaft

Is it a direct bolt on? Are the yokes and splines the same? Any pictures of the Mark shaft vs the bird shaft?

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!

Last edited by ThunderB; 08-27-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 05:29 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Well...Same chassis as a Mark 8,same transmission,same differential,same trans crossmember,same front K-member,same engine mounts....any guesses at to whether is is or not?
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
Uhhh, uhhhhh.... Same? Did I win, did I win????? Come on give me my prize...

Sam

Now I am probably gonna get the same answer, but is it a direct bolt on to a 3.8 LX???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Just because they are the same platform doesn't mean all dimensions are the same. Through searching this board and markvii.org, i have seen several comments regarding the mark drive shaft being longer. My plan is to get a one piece aluminum markviii drive shaft, have new joints installed, and get it speed balanced. Before i commit my $, I want to find out if i have to shorten or modify it in any way. Do I? JL, what drive shaft do you use?

B

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
What kind of cost are you looking at to use a Mark VIII shaft? If it costs you $100 for it and then you add the u joints and have it balanced, won't that cost you almost as much as a new Metal Matrix shaft?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:58 AM

I had all that done and 150 into it. MM shafts rocket to the 450 price range. Definitely a cheaper alternative.

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddMartigan
What kind of cost are you looking at to use a Mark VIII shaft? If it costs you $100 for it and then you add the u joints and have it balanced, won't that cost you almost as much as a new Metal Matrix shaft?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Ok. I looked into this before and there seemed to be a lot of debate about the Mark VIII shaft not really giving you what you really wanted and the that went into it seemed to be prohibitive with that in mind.

I guess I will have to revisit this when I get back to that issue on my car.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 01:15 PM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
i believe the only advantage to having an aluminum shaft opposed to a MMC shaft is price. the aluminum is lighter than the stock one and therefore will not vibrate or reach critical speed as early (as long as it's properly balanced). but some have swapped in aluminum shafts and found that they then had a vibration at points where the stock did not.
so...aluminum is much better than stock, while MMC is your best bet. but yes they're pricey.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderB
Just because they are the same platform doesn't mean all dimensions are the same. Through searching this board and markvii.org, i have seen several comments regarding the mark drive shaft being longer. My plan is to get a one piece aluminum markviii drive shaft, have new joints installed, and get it speed balanced. Before i commit my $, I want to find out if i have to shorten or modify it in any way. Do I? JL, what drive shaft do you use?

B
I use a Dynotech,and it was more than worth the $480 that is costs.
The length of the Mark8 shaft and the Tbird shaft are the same.
At best you'll just move the speed that the vibration occurs at with the OE shaft a slight bit higher-even by balancing the Mark8 shaft. Before you have somebody promise that they can "speed balance" the shaft...ask them how many rpms they balance the shaft to....
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected]e stock
Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in