Dying, need a quick fix - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Dying, need a quick fix

Alas my tranny inslowly digging its own grave. Being dumb, I had the tranny fluid changed a few months ago.....bad idea with 90,000 and as far as I know it's the original fluid. Within the last 2-3 weeks she's started slipping. Is there any type of quick fix or anything that will prolong this situation as my total savings is 2 ziploc bags of change, and theres no way I can afford a re-build? Otherwise I'll have to put her up and start looking for a new vehicle and get rid of her quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 PM

Try Lucas Oil Tranny Fix.

My friend has recently replaced his tranny, it was under $500.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Don't rebuilt that tranny.

Don't rebuild that tranny.

If you are on a budget, just check out car-part.com and put a late model 4r70w in your car.

For example. I paid $500 shipped to my door for a 98 Mark8 Transmission that had 8k miles on it. The trans came with a 6 month warranty.

The 4r70w's from 96-97 tbirds go for about 200 bucks, but they have more miles on them and may or may not have warranty's.

Do a search to find out what you need to do to get the late model trannys to work, or post something on here I will be glad to help you out.

By the way, when you get your new transmission, be sure to change the fluid in it every 15-20k miles and keep it cool.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I already have the stuff by lucas in it.

JustinH:
How hard is a tranny swap? I probally have all the tools needed to do it, except for a few metric sockets. but have 2 jack stands, a jack, sockets and wrenches up the wazoo, and a compressor. Would I need a transmission jack for it or would a standard on do the job. Just don't know what skill is involved with that sort of job and how much time it would be.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 08:29 PM

the transmission swap is not bad at all. If your car has little or no rust it is easier. I just dropped the catback, then drop the transmission. You will need a transmission adapter for your jack, and a few friends to help hold things up.

Working on jackstands might be a little tough for doing a transmission, if you have access to a lift that is a huge bonus.

It took my buddy about 2-3 hours to get the old trans out, and about 2-3 to get it back in, not including about an hour of wiring up the new transmission with the old electronics to make it work, and a couple phone calls to my 4r70w gurus. So, its a little shy of an all day job to get the whole deal finished.

A magnetic filter and a cooler are a must if you don't already have them installed.

If your car is not a 4.6 you won't be able to use the mark flywheel, or the converter, you will have to use a 3.8 tbird one.

JH
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:25 PM

A 4R70W out of a 99+ Mustang 3.8L would be your best bet (if its a 3.8L car). The torque converter on those has a 2200rpm spec stall compaired to your stock 1800rpm stall also which would help with off the line accelration just a bit. Also the 99+ 3.8L tranny have the same number of clutchs and disks as a GT tranny in 99+
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 02:25 PM

rancher,

what about the output shaft on the stang tranny?

On the new gt tranny, the output shaft will give inaccurate speedo readings if you have higher than a 3.27 rear end gear.

It is fine if he has a stock rear end, and donesn't want gears in the future, but if he does want gears and wants an accurate speedo, that 99+ stang tranny will need to be totally rebuilt to swap in the Tbird/Mark output shaft.

Seeing as the output shaft is the first thing that goes in the case in a rebuild, everything will need to come apart to swap in the tbird/mark unit.

JH
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a 3.8 and 3.08 gears I believe. So I should look for a 99+ Stang with a 3.8, correct?
What modifications have to be made for it to fit and work properly?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Also while it the tranny would be out how hard would it be to put in a mark 8 drive shaft? It is the same length, right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 07:53 PM

Off the top of my head,

MLPS from your tbird needs to go on the new trans. (should really buy it new at the dealer)
TCC Solinoid from your tbird needs to go on the new trans. (buy it new again)
You need to put the 95 wiring harness in the new trans, and ditch the stang wiring harness that is in it. (use the old wiring harness)
You need to use a MN12 tranny mount. (buy a new one)

A magnetic filter is a must and a cooler is a must. You will want a new 99 filter.

Other than that it is a drop in.

Rancher, am I missing anything for the 3.8 crowd?

JH

Quote:
Originally posted by propilot82
Yeah I have a 3.8 and 3.08 gears I believe. So I should look for a 99+ Stang with a 3.8, correct?
What modifications have to be made for it to fit and work properly?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
the transmission swap is not bad at all. If your car has little or no rust it is easier. I just dropped the catback, then drop the transmission. You will need a transmission adapter for your jack, and a few friends to help hold things up.

Working on jackstands might be a little tough for doing a transmission, if you have access to a lift that is a huge bonus.

JH
Trans. adapters not really necessary (just get a large block of wood)

you will need some jackstands that can hold up to like 24inches (SUV jackstands)

took me about 3 hours to swap the transmission (that includes 1 hour of getting the top 2 bolts from transmision to engine, my hands are too huge)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in