valve body installed today :) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

valve body installed today :)

Hello I just installed a new valve body today made from Performance Automatic and I have to say its unbelievable. 1-2 I am leaving smoke behind and after my chip is in I think I will be able to chirp 3rd gear all in all the car even performs better than ever and pulls like a SOB , I would recommend this VB over any other considering it is $250.00 and there are no other parts needed. I previously had a Trans go shift kit and I ahve to say it shifted nice but caused me a great deal of issues esp when taking off my car would slip between 1-2 and second on occasion . Also the shifts where clunky feeling unlike this valve body. From a 50 roll the car is extremly snappy and more responsive I even have to say more than my friend who had the J mod and I was very impressed with that also. Just wanted to tell you guys who are looking for a nice VB

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6spd
Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
American Racing Long Tube Headers
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft
Custom Street Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:23 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to DirtyBird46
What VB did you install? Manual VB?
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

yes, its the street strip model found here www.performanceautomatic.com

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 AM
PostWhore

What made you decide to do that instead of the J-Mod that everyone here talks about? Just curious.

I come from a dusty place.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

well , I have heard about our Valve bodys cracking and I was having some kinda prob with my car shifting , So for the price of the new valve body I think its a better way to go considering its a hell of alot stronger than the stock one. It also has a warrenty wich the J mod does not. Also it alows you too hold 1-2 and up and down shift without bothering anything. My friend Shawn40th had the J mod and my third gear feels the same if not better. if you have any other questions just let me know but I would consider this to anyone with a 94-95 valve body.

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:25 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazania
Hello I just installed a new valve body today made from Performance Automatic and I have to say its unbelievable. 1-2 I am leaving smoke behind and after my chip is in I think I will be able to chirp 3rd gear all in all the car even performs better than ever and pulls like a SOB , I would recommend this VB over any other considering it is $250.00 and there are no other parts needed. I previously had a Trans go shift kit and I ahve to say it shifted nice but caused me a great deal of issues esp when taking off my car would slip between 1-2 and second on occasion . Also the shifts where clunky feeling unlike this valve body. From a 50 roll the car is extremly snappy and more responsive I even have to say more than my friend who had the J mod and I was very impressed with that also. Just wanted to tell you guys who are looking for a nice VB
#1..PA does not cast that main control,they simply modify it.
#2..How does the shift schedule have anything to do with the acceleration rate of the car?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazania
So for the price of the new valve body I think its a better way to go considering its a hell of alot stronger than the stock one[/i]
#3..It's a modified Ford main control..how can it be stronger?
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

1.) If your trying to say the valve body is no good I would have to dissagree, I know several people who own these VB's and they have all had good results thats why I went with it and not a stock 99 vb wich I know I would have to change some parts over and the internals can handle the higher pressure better than the stock one so it is stronger than my old one. Jerry himself told me that PA makes a excelent product.
2.) when your cars valve body leaks and is cracked you will notice a power decrese , I did. Also a valve body can increase your acc somewhat dep on your TC I know this for a fact.
3.) it is a modified ford main control that is right , but the internals are different and bore sizes the can handle more pressure therefore making it a stronger VB and Tranny all around and I do have to say that the valve body is casted its sand casted alluminum the whole VB isI dont know who told you that its not but it is .

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned

Last edited by Lazania; 09-04-2003 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
sorry there Larry but the 99 valve body is not junk, it is the best valve body we can put in these cars that is a ford part.

I agree that in 94 the valvebody leaves alot to be desired, is this what you were referring to? I agree with that statement if thats what you meant.

I agree with you that the 94 4r70w as a whole is junk, and the valvebody leaves alot to be desired. The best solution to the 94 transmission is to get rid of it for a late model unit or totally rebuild it to late model spec.

Johnny is not talking down to you man, and there is no reason to get flustered or whatever. He knows what is going on with these 4r70w's and is a wealth of information here.

Now, here is my question to add to the thread.

What exactly is the difference between my stock 99 GT valvebody, with a few holes in the valve body plate drilled to JW's spec, and Larry's valvebody?

I have taken apart several valve bodies for these cars, and I really don't understand how you would modify it except for drilling the seperator plate that attaches to the valvebody.

I just was wondering what exactly they do to them.

I can't wait to try it out in any event Larry.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

yes I was refering to the 94 vb the 99 is a nice upgrade but I would still recommend the PA VB its a direct swap for the same price as where the 99 you have to change things like solinoids and other parts that dont match up so why not spend less and get the one from PA

Plus remember PA gives you a warrenty on it and Ford doesnt

Sorry also Im not trying to be snippy its hard to determine how someone is saying something when there typing

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I might just have to say that the 99 with j mod and PA VB's are excelent upgrades.
but the 94 is def made me angry heheeh

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 08:52 PM

we still havent' gotten to the question of what is the difference between the PA unit and the stock ford unit.

Intersting stuff so far in this thread.

JH
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

yes I would agree , I dont know the answer to this, but I would have to say there is a difference, I have also a feeling that both VB's are going to come out a good choice for an upgrade to the stock ones we have, I took my VB out earlier and have learned alot from looking at it on comparison to the new VB for 1 the old one is Cast sanded alluminum and the new one is Cast Iron , also the springs and valves themselves are much bigger on the PA vb in size for the old VB. I would like to also find out though what the difference is in the 99 VB and The PA VB

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM

Kind of along the same lines. I put a Baumann kit in my AOD and so far do not like it, I apprecieate all the help you fellows were in the process.
My questions is; is there a valve body out there for an AOD that would be full manual and get away from the TV cable?
What would be the draw backs?
Clint
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Cougar Pilot

If you're talking about an "AOD" in your Thunderbird, I gotta say you don't have one. Sorry.

It's a 4R70W, and there is no TV cable. The above manual valve body would be for you 'Bird too.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:26 PM

Sorry, was talking about the AOD in my F100 that I installed. Do they make a manual valve body that would do away with the TV
Clint
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

yes the AODE and 4r70w have both the same VB's dont let anyone tell you different. There are differences in both trannys but the VB's are the same

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by cdeal28078
Sorry, was talking about the AOD in my F100 that I installed. Do they make a manual valve body that would do away with the TV
Clint
I'm sure they are available somewhere. I would have thought you've got a C-4 or C-6 in a pickup that old.
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 AM

It started life as a 302 three speed when my dad bought it new. I've had it since I was 16 and am now 39 so it has had a few modifcations along the way. It now has a 351W, power-disc brakes, automatic overdrive and power-steering. Next year she's going to get air-conditioning. LOL
I just put the AOD in it this year. I had earlier put a c-6 in it but wanted better gears without loosing any gas mileage.
I hear too much about keeping the TV adjusted correctly or burning up the tranny so I was just wondering if a manual valve body would do away with the TV set-up.
Thanks for all the help. This is a cool site with alot of brains on it
Clint
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

sounds like a nice truck do you have some pictures ??? I would like to see it I always wanted to do a 70's model ford truck.

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:45 PM

That VB upgrade sounds kick ***. Wonder if it would be worth getting one for my '91 Cougar 3.8L with the AOD?

$200 doesn't sound to bad....
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:32 AM

Thanks Larry. She is my dailey driver/work truck but I get a few compliments from time to time.
Have'nt figures out the how to add pictures yet. Been reading on how to do it but I guess you have to subscrib first
Clint
post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

no problem some day I will do one I think a 74 with a 460 stock and dress it up . Ill probley paint it candy apple red . As for the Valve body its probley one of the best things I have done here is the website of all the stuff they make for our tranny's : www.performanceautomatic.com

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

If anyone else has questions about this valve body ask Justin H and Joel his brother how the car shifts they road in it and Im sure they will intice you to get one as well

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:55 PM

Got my new Ford valve body put in today. I am satisfied with it. It deffinatley is'nt high perfromance but for a new one for 446 I can't complain. Holds OD much better now, I can cost down to 35mph and aese into and pick back up to speed. I like that. It's still too sloppy on WOT shifts but I'll run it like it is until I can afford a valve body from Performance automatics.
Clint
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 04:01 PM

the mn12 valve body is a pretty sloppy valve body to start with. Seeing as you just got a new one, did you step up to a 99 gt valve body, or did you put a stock one back in.

If you want to make yours shift alot faster and a little firmer, then check out the drill specs,and drop the valve body and drill the plate.

Don't change out the springs and pistons unless you want to spend some more coin and some more time. Just drop the valve body, drill the plate and be done with it.

The only cost would be tranny fluid, and two valve body gaskets from the dealer.

2 hour job for someone who has never done one.

Larry's car shifts absolutely sick, I was really happy with it, and I know he is also. The only downside to such a thing is the cost is way up there.

JH
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:27 PM

It's an AOD tranny
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

if you paid $446 for it you cuold have had the same one I had 250.00 and $100.00 installed. Thanks Justin H I wooped an eclipes today , this guy was getting on my nerves he had to been behind me for about 5 miles just makeing his blow off valve sound like at least 30 times. Finnaly I got some open road moved over he pulled up I slowed down to 50 nailed it barked third and said goodbye , after he drove past me and looked embarresed heheh Im sure he had no Idea.

Current Modifications:
C&L Cold Air Intake
Catted X pipe
MBRP Mufflers
Custom Street Tuned
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 07:11 PM

OOpps, That was supposed to be $46. If I'd had that much to put in it it would have been the other valve body for sure.
Clint
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
ok.......so i have an 01 stang 4r70w.....would this work if in it if i put it in my 94 bird...like besides rewiring some things and swaping over the shift linkage

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Larry,
Is that the stock '94 tranny ur running? Would this VB you bought fit in a '98 truck tranny (what I'm getting next because of the MD OWC). What have you noticed different about the way it drives and shifts? Does a manual valvebody still allow me to put it in D, and just let it shift it's way up on its own? Thanks
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in