J-mod or wait for swap - TCCoA Forums
View Poll Results: J-mod or wait for replacement?
Do they J-mod. 4 50.00%
Wait until tranny drops. 1 12.50%
Do the J-mod anyway, and see what happens. 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

J-mod or wait for swap

Hi folks,

I've read through about a couple hundred posts concerning the J-mod, and the 94-95 tranny's. Myself and a friend (RayBroadway) keep thinking we'll do the J-mods soon. I keep balancing doing that to each of our 95s, or waiting til the tranny grenades, and replacing it with a newer (99 or so) tranny.

I know that with the discount, getting the parts for the J-mod wouldn't cost much, and the work doesn't seem too difficult, although I'll admit I'm intimidated by the OD band issues (folks accidently losing OD until they can fix the OD band, which means dropping the pan again).

Should I go ahead with the J-mod on this 86k 95 tranny, or just start looking for a newer tranny so when it does start to go, I'm ready.

Just looking for opinions here. My tranny runs great right now, and shifts absolutely awesome (love those second gear wheelspins). But, I don't want to do work for nothing, and have to do it again after buying another tranny. I'm sure RayBroadway is thinking something similar.

Or, we can just say the heck with it and J-mod them both, and see what happens.

Opinions please. You folks offer up some decent advise.

Thanks...

Dan
2008 Nissan 350Z Grand Touring
2010 Ford F150 Lariat
a bunch of motorcycles
(haven't come across my dream 97 Tbird yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 PM

149k tranny, and I'm doing J-mod this or next weekend, parts already ordered. Though, that's a city of Daytona Beach maintained vehicle for 110k miles. If you're serious about the track you should do it, I guess. And those second gear wheelspins are just your 1-2 band going, I have those two.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 PM

If you don't replace the OD servo, you don't have to worry about the OD band.

Hooking up the band is NOT a big deal if you follow the directions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:02 AM
Cougar Pilot

As far as I'm concerned you've waited to long already. Just order the parts and get the drill bits so you're ready to do your '98+ transmission when the time comes. Meanwhile get J-modding, and get in some practice. You won't be sorry you did. And after all, your transmission isn't guaranteed to go out. You could have 80,000+ miles left with it. Time's a wastin'!

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yup, you appear to be one of the lucky ones, possibly on borrowed time. I had to rebuild my '96 trans twice before the 100,000 mi extended ran out, and long before I started modding and racing... just everyday squirreling around...

Now the '95 I've only had to rebuild once (so far) at about 25,000.. Up until about 2 years ago that was my mom's car and it had only 6,000 mi on it... It's never been raced or driven hard.. and I have a J-mod kit in the garage to put in her (the car not my mom)

From what I've read on this site the trans is the weakest link in terms of dependibilty and longevity (well, the original '96 intake ranks right up there) in our cars.

Sounds like you're anticipating that your's is gonna go and are all set to spend money on a new trans, and a J-mod... why not J-mod now and maybe your's won't crap out at all, and you can use the money you would have spent on a later model trans on something else... $200 of prevention is worth $1,000 of cure, no??? when you take it down to J-mod it, have someone that knows what he's looking at look it over and replace anything that needs it.

I actually don't really know what Max charges for a new late model trans (I guessed $1000 with labor, I know what a rebuild costs), but if you want to save you're money for the J-mod now, and wait for your trans to crap out, save up a bit more and you can get a Reinhart J-design Bullet Proof Trans for $1500.

Whichever way you go, consider adding an aftermarket trans cooler, if you don't already have one, and using Mecon V fluid in the new setup..

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

It'll be different for everyone. I "J-modded" my car's transmission a month ago, at 227,500 miles. I've had to 'spend money twice' several times, so, performing a second "J-mod" on a replacement transmission wouldn't seem to be a big deal, especially considering the cost of parts is relatively low.

My experience: it's definitely worth performing that modification.

Remember September 19: Talk Like a Pirate Day!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
you appear to be one of the lucky ones, possibly on borrowed time.
Damn 96 GoldBird, that sucks! I setting at at over 120k and no problems yet. . . . knock on wood. But, as fzrdan was saying we were worndering what would be the best avenue of approch. With the prices a hell of a lot lower than what they were, you almost can't pass it up. Is there anyone in the Eastern NC area that could come around and give some experienced hands? We really appreciate the feed back, it just emphasizes how usefull his site is. This is my daily driven baby, and there is always tons of room for improvement. . . . well as far at the wallet and wife will approve.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
wait until the tranny dies, and in the mean time build a 4r70w in your garage to JW's specs to put in it.

JH
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 07:12 PM

J-mod was done today on a 96 cat. No trouble, but messy. Hardest part was getting snap ring off the 1-2 accumulator, about 30 min to take off, and another 30 to put back on! A lot of oil. The back of my head is still oily. I think you should definately do the mod, it's not hard, could get frustrating. We didn't do OD and reverse today, but I'm doing it on my car next week (if parts get here). In the article it says get a good set of snap ring pliers, that actually means a set of big snap ring pliers, handle should be 5 inches at least. Don't do it alone. Do OD and reverse as well, and I think do all servos before main body, because that's the hardest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in