Yeah, ok, tranny gods, 'splain this one. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, ok, tranny gods, 'splain this one.

I've been having trouble with my stupid OD band slipping. On top of that, in third, the TCC would try and engage fully and make the car lurch and buck.

So I drove to Philly. 4 hours, most of it about 85MPH on the PA Turnpike. And it didn't do it once. It didn't do it when in Philly OR on the way back either. And a week later, it hasn't done it once, either.

WTF? Tranny just need a good workout or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

most slipping of the OD band is right when it engages... ME majors like myself or those familiar with physics can explain that usually the static coefficients of friction are higher than the kinetic coefficients of friction. Meaning once the band stops slipping, it's harder to make it start slipping again.

On the highway, you'll be in 4th gear almost all the way. the band will seat itself and stay put. If it starts slipping once it's stopped... then its life is about over. In city traffic, the band is constantly engaging/disengaging - allowing it to slip a lot more often.

If it's slipping at all, this generates temperature... lots of it. On the highway, there wont be as much changing gears... therefore less heat generated. This may contribute to the problem too.

similar situation with the TCC - all the TCC does is engage/disengage a clutch inside the TC... in traffic you may be getting the ever so common TC shudder. On the highway, the TCC will lock up the TC and stay that way, its in the programming.

Have you ever had TC shudder before? if not, swap to mercon V fluid and buy a cooler. If it's coming back again, then on a 1994 the TC is probably toasted. If you really want to be sure its the TC and not the TCC solenoid, remove the pan and hook up a 12v power source to it briefly- you should feel/hear it move back and forth when you add/remove the power. Check the fluid condition. Is it turning black? The darker it is, the worse it is.

How's that? lol

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Only thing to add is that a chip from one of the recomended tuners will help, as will the j-mod, and a cooler. If your OD band is on it's way out, none of these will save it, so plan to replace it when you do the J-mod.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If the OD band is totally toasted, it's rebuild time.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected]0MPH. In need of updated times.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

it seems to be behaving now, for some reason. it hasn't slipped once since the trip to philly.

Also.. more on the third gear slippy thing it was doing... You could be driving along, you'd lose some power, and then get a surge.. and a few seconds later the same surge again, over and over again, exactly like if you were to push in the clutch on a manual car and hold the gas down, and then let it go
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Don't mean to suggest the obvious, but low fluid level or a cavitating pump will cause these symptoms. Make certain the filter is seated fully on the valve body and the orange seal is tight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

hmm. I'd have to drop the pan for that, and that's one of the things I can't do at home (I can barely change my oil without them *****ing that I'll break something)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in