Clunk, but during shift???? lengthy - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director Coordinator

Clunk, but during shift???? lengthy

Hey guys

i know we all have it, we shift from park into reverse or drive and hear the tranny clunk.. i am also one of the lucky peeps to have something clunk when i first take off for the day..

yesterday, however was unique. it clunked not once, but 3 times......... i gunned it a bit around the corner cuz i felt like it and when it shifted into second.. i heard a clunk... it did it again about 10min later, i was crossing the main road, has a little 25-30deg hill, then goes down at about 35deg into a turn.. as i just cleared the top it went into second and clunked again.

i keep pushing the date to do the jmod and get me irs bushings put on and new u-joints, cuz i may be getting $2500-3500, and that would mean... FRPP rear and MMX driveshaft.. so it would be like.. fully refreshed driveline..

Is it the u-joints clunking or something internal in the tranny? btw, i am firmly convinced at least 1 of the 1-2 springs are broken.. it doesn't shift superfirm (no kit), but it will go a lot quicker than say, the 3-4...

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
MY clunk is u-joints... I'd always heard a little clunk on hard shifts, then I rode in the back seat while someone else drove it... BIG clunk! New u-joint time for me, guess it'll get done over Christmas break...

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:10 PM

Might be your torque converter unlocking/locking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

on the 1-2 shift?? then again, i usually do feel the clunk somewhere under the floorboard area... but i can usually feel a small bump i run over w/ the back tire....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jamesD
[B]Hey guys

i know we all have it, we shift from park into reverse or drive and hear the tranny clunk.. i am also one of the lucky peeps to have something clunk when i first take off for the day..

yesterday, however was unique. it clunked not once, but 3 times......... i gunned it a bit around the corner cuz i felt like it and when it shifted into second.. i heard a clunk... it did it again about 10min later, i was crossing the main road, has a little 25-30deg hill, then goes down at about 35deg into a turn.. as i just cleared the top it went into second and clunked again.

i keep pushing the date to do the jmod and get me irs bushings put on and new u-joints, cuz i may be getting $2500-3500, and that would mean... FRPP rear and MMX driveshaft.. so it would be like.. fully refreshed driveline..

Is it the u-joints clunking or something internal in the tranny? btw, i am firmly convinced at least 1 of the 1-2 springs are broken.. it doesn't shift superfirm (no kit), but it will go a lot quicker than say, the 3-4...

------------------------
I have the EXACT problem, but it's most noticeable on the first 3-4 shift of the day(sometimes 2-3 too), and when it's cold. As I am having the clunk when shifting from P to R or D, and have a drive line vibe, I'm pretty sure that it's my worn out IRS bushings(they are flaking and have vertical play, already had them inspected) AND the u-joints.

Does your also clunk when leting off the gas(with lerch), and again when stepping on the gas, with a little delay in acceleration+clunk? mine does that and most people think it's a sign that it's the u-joints.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

i know sometimes if i let off the gas after doin like 60, slow down to around 40-50mph, then pop the gas real quick, i guess the sudden amount of torque or whatever will make something clunk/shudder/pull real hard.. it hasn't clunked on the 3-4shift... that's a band anyway no?? my irs bushings aren't new, but there is no play, same w/ the tranny mount. i will swap them out when i do the "mod"

JD
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:17 PM

Check your TC/Flex Plate bolts...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:32 PM
PostWhore

umm, ok.

hint: look at the date of his post...

Slightly Jerryfied...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

LMAO

those bolts were fine at the time.. heh

lots of cars do it.. damn lockup schedule
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:11 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to MadGoat Send a message via MSN to MadGoat
Im having the same problem...

is this something to worry about, cuz I've been trying to track it down after I stalled my track-loc rear end....

its coming from the tranny... the ujoints are new... IRS bushings are brand new....

got me worried cuz it doesnt sound healthy.

MG

MadGoat's Birds
94 Thunderbird LX 4.6L PI
03 Aluminum PI Engine, J-Mod, Aluminum one piece drive shaft, 3.27's, 2.5" to single 3" custom MagnaFlow exhaust, 07 17x8 Bullit Wheels
97 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
RIP
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

check your suspension.. turns out, one of the clunks was the fact my rear sway bar end link bushings were not there anymore.. heh.. metal clunking metal
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat
Im having the same problem...

is this something to worry about, cuz I've been trying to track it down after I stalled my track-loc rear end....

its coming from the tranny... the ujoints are new... IRS bushings are brand new....

got me worried cuz it doesnt sound healthy.

MG
I get the occasional clunk when putting the car into reverse or drive and I also get a clunk while cruising like James mentioned in the 6th post in this thread. I was thinking it had to do with my TC and/or the TC lockup schedule, but Kentwood suggested checking the tailshaft bushing in this thread that I started on the subject. I havent gotten around to checking it out though.

I was origionally thinking it was a u-joint problem, but I changed them and the problem remains. It feels like some thing is loose in the drive line, I've gone over every bushing I can see and get to without taking the car apart and I dont see a problem anywhere. That leads me to believe the problem is within the trans or rear end.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in