2 Piece Lincoln Drive shaft - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
2 Piece Lincoln Drive shaft

Ok so I am wondering does everyone know what they are talking about.... I just read an article written by Jerry describing the '93 Bonneville Mark VIII. The car went 182.xxx something for the fastest run. And it was running a two piece drive shaft... I don't think I will ever get up to that speed, but why exactly could they do this, and we can't???

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Where is this article about a Bonneville Mark VIII?

Is this a modified Mark VIII running at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

Modified may be the key word..........................
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

It was a "stock trim" according to Jerry. Nothing major done to it really. They swapped out the stock gears and put in 327 I believe... They also swapped tires of course, to I believe Corvette tires... They took off the mirrors and not much else was done to the Mark... I will try and post the link to the article later today.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:43 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

You better reread that article they did a ton to it including removing the rear brakes to reduce rotational mass

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Bonneville Article

Quote:
The engine itself was truly a production Mark 8 engine that was just blueprinted. The transmission was stock but we did search for rotating parts that had no imbalance and no runout on the shafts. The axle was changed to a 2.47 axle. The air suspension, which normally lowers the car about 20 mm when you get above a speed, was set to lower the car another 25 mm so the car would drop almost 2” from it’s static ride height. Aside from this, the only other changes to the car itself were removed rear brakes (for less drag), removed side view mirrors, some fabricated “belly pans” for under the car and some kind of air deflector behind the grill, and the skinny Bonneville tires. (Of course the car had a roll cage and a two-piece driveshaft).
None of that sounds like a ton of stuff... But I apologize they modify more than my memory rememberd... However none of that addresses the question. Why can they use a 2 piece to go 182.694, and everyone says that we can't go much above 110... Would switching out the gears to 2.47 really allow them to not worry about it, or am I missing something?

Sam
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:21 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I guess I should have been a little less vague as well. I didn't meen to imply a ton of custom stuff but at bonneville little details make the difference. I wonder if he means a stock 2 piece shaft or since it is mentioned with the rollcage if it was custom. I am imagining a pillow block mid way with two shorter shafts. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Timb very true. And I was wondering that myself, but he didn't mention anything when he was talking about what they did to the transmission... Hoping someone can enlighten me... I am still planning on getting the MMX shaft, just wondering whats up with this.

Sam
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:45 PM

It's the gear ratio that allowed them to do it. The shaft was spinning at a lower speed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Still wouldn't getting up past 180 spin the shaft at over 5k? That is what I was thinking, but wasn't for sure if swapping those gears would keep it from shaking apart...

Sam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in