Shifting Problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Shifting Problems

Allright, let me start off by saying I have a 94' Cougar 4.6L v8 all stock and around 135-140k miles on it. The transmission fluid was changed around 1000 miles ago (in mid August) with Mercon V.

Heres the gist of my problem. About two weeks ago driving home when I hit about 40mph (in that area) my car would not shift and any result of trying to accelerate would result in the engine revving heavily. It wouldn't shift until I dropped back around 30mph or below. I shook it off that it must have just had a hard time shifting up on the steep hills around here.

Anyway, so the other night the same thing has happened again. I did a search around the boards here but couldn't find anything similar (at least in my knowledge).

Does anyone here have an idea of what this could be and if so, the probable cost to the solution? I'm not in Houston, or I'd go take it by the "family mechanic." I don't know any of the shops around here in Oxford, MS to trust whethered theyd give me a straight response or reem me for everything I'm worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
If its slipping into Neutral at odd times, I would replace the MLPS sensor on the outside of the transmission and call it a day. Some shops call it a neutral safety switch, some shops call it a reverse light switch. I call it a 45 dollar item. You can bolt it on and align it in your driveway with the help of a friend, it bolts onto the outside of the transmission case.

JH
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 PM

First, check line pressure. Low pressure under load will make you slip so much you will think you've neutraled out. It will also burn up tranny pronto.

Second if line pressure's within specs, your OD band might be toast - if it won't hold, you will think you are in neutral. You might be OK by locking OD out until you get a rebuild. If your tranny is the original, you're due.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree, if it went away at 30, thats when downshift to 3rd occurs... sounds like the OD band is toasted. Try driving with OD Off, also try 2nd gear manual... if it doesnt engine brake, you know its the band.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in