tranny problem (update) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

tranny problem (update)

as some of you know (as you have recently offered advice) my new birds tranny has been slipping.

Pasted from previous post:
"
I just bought a 95 4.6 bird with 3.27 posi and have found that when I first turn it on and leave giving her it will get up to 3k RPM and then its like the TC or tranny slips for a few seconds and then it kicks back in to finish the climb up to 5k RPM. It only does it the first few times I pull through the RPMs hard.... then its fine for the rest of the trip/running time. soo... its pulling hard upto 3K then it just hangs there for 3 mabie 4 seconds, the car slowing down while the RPMs gain untill it kicks back in at mabie 3500-4K and up to 5 its all okay again?! Its always from the first few stops pulling thgouh 1st or downshifting from higher gears... then its okay! I was okay when this was the only noticable slipage but today I was driving down the highway at like 70KMH in 4th or OD (don't remember but it was only like 1500 RPM) and then I totally loose it! Its like I'm in neutral!! I'm slowing down to almost a stop while reving upto 4K RPM and getting nowhere! I pulled over, put it in park and waited a minute.... then back into drive and its fine the rest of the way to work. WTF is going on? I just bought this thing and its F'd up the first few days I own it!
"

Now I realize there is two problems here the slipping when first starting to drive and the going into neutral (I know this is the MLPS and I will take care of that soon!) but this is regarding the massive slippage while not warmed up and putting hard load on the tranny. What I have recently noticed is that this slipping is NOT caused by tempature. I was thinking it was only slipping under load when tranny fluid was cold since it goes away after driving for a few minutes. but now I know its not tempature because if I have been driving it for awhile and the tranny is warmed up and running fine and I stop turn off the engnie and say run into a store, grab a pop and come back it will slip under load for a vary short time as if It has been sitting for a long time. IT won't take as long to stop slipping under hard load if just shut off for a minute than if sitting for a long time but it will do it mabie only for the first pull out of the store lot. So I figure it can't be tempature because obvoiusly its still hot after the long driving. So... gotta be pressure?? Could the pump be taking to long to build up running pressure?? or if the pump was broken would it show all the time? Also could it be the tourqe converter? Does the TQ have to be filled with fluid after the engine stops turning everytime or does it hold its fluid at all times? Any more sugestions would be great.. I know some of you guys know you sh*t! In the meantime I will get the MLPS fixed before the weekend since I have had the car go into Neutral while moving at speeds a few times and I had to pull over and put in park and back into drive... but this problem is rare and sparatic while the slippnig under havy load will happen EVERY time if I don't take it easy on her while to "warms up" or you know!

THanks for reading the worlds longest post... sorry!

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in