Transmission Fluid - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Fluid

How many quarts does a 95 4.8 Cougar take if just replacing the filter and gasket and not ful flush???

Also what type of fluid is recommended??

ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:32 PM

Mercon V is recommended, however, most of our cars have Mercon 3 when we buy them. In order to use Mercon V, you need to drain the converter as well, as the 2 fluids don't mix well together. It's too easy to drain the converter, so I would do it just for the peace of mind. With converter, I think mine held 13 quarts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
agreed.

You need to pump the fluid out the cooler line, then drain the converter, then drop the pan and change the filter, bolt it all up, and add 6 quarts, start the car shift the gears, then add the rest. About 7 more like Rich says. Keep an eye on the dipstick.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

How do you drain the converter? I've only ever just took of the pan and filter before, not sure whee the other line is i need to take off?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:58 PM

pop out the black rubber cover in the bellhousing to expose the access hole.

Rotate the engine via the crank pulley with a big breaker bar, and turn it clockwise only until you can see the drainplug in the access hole (having two people helps alot here)

Then you need a deep metric socket with a long extension on it to remove the torque converter drain plug.

Let it drain and you will be suprised how much fluid it holds.

JH
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 08:31 AM

.....And how freakin' slow it drains
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 AM

While we're talking tranny fluids for Tbird 4.6 (so that's a 4R70W), I went to a local transmission shop (i'm really too newbie without tools or garage) and they pulled up an alldata webpage that was captioned "97 Tbird 4.6" which had a big red warning saying "Mercon V can damage your parts".

So, logically, they refused to put Mercon V in, in order to not be liable.

Now what? Mercon V is ok for a '97 tbird 4.6 4r70w, right?

Also, most shops around here don't seem to carry Mercon V, some do have a little 8oz bottle that is "Upgraded Mercon III to Mercon V specs". Is that any good?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I ran into that once as well, but ford has a technical bulletin out recommending Mercon V for our tranny, it's been out for a while, I guess some places are just really slow.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 02:35 PM

Can you point me to the exact text of that bulletin? I found a TSB number somewhere that ended up being non-existent, and the one that I could find (here ) is almost unreadable.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM

Here you go:
TSB 98-8-7 relates to Fords recomendation to abandon the use of Mercon in favor of Mercon V to help with longevity and torque converter problems. To quote:

ISSUE:
Vehicles equipped with an AODE or 4R70W transmission (refer to Vehicle Application Chart) may experience a torque converter clutch shudder or vibration. This occurs under light to moderate acceleration above 56 km/h (35 mph) while in 3rd or 4th gear or on 3-4/4-3 shifts. This may be due to temperature related automatic transmission fluid breakdown.

... (Big Snip) ...

NOTE:
FLUIDS LABELED MERCON®V ARE RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON®.

SERVICE FLUID RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL OTHER FORD TRANSMISSIONS AND/OR POWER STEERING REMAINS UNCHANGED.

8. Refill transmission with the proper amount of Motorcraft MERCON®V (XT-5-QM) or equivalent.

I haven't read your referenced TSB, but another issued as TSB 01-15-7 again vacillates, stating that MERCON is the fluid to be used.

Perhaps part of this confusion stems from the fact that the two fluids are NOT
interMIXable. In order to use the MERCON V fluid, you MUST completely drain the trans and convertor, flush and refill. The seal issue is probably NOT an issue to you either way, as you state that the trans was overhauled. Surely if the rebuilder used quality parts, (i.e. Ford or TransTech) the seal issue is moot, as the seals should have been upgraded.

This should help you out....
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM

BTW, I just used the infamous "search" button and searched for mercon v tsb, and it was in the 2nd post that came up. That's why we are so onto people about using the search button.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 03:20 PM

So:

TSB-98-8-7 says:
NOTE:
FLUIDS LABELED MERCON®V ARE RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON®.

TSB 01-15-7's chart says that only starting in 1998, 4R70W transmissions should use Mercon V.
It also states that TSB 01-15-7 supersedes TSB 98-8-8 (which had that unreadable chart).

I also found
Quote:
Originally posted by 88TC
Thanks for the replies. The reason I hesitate to go to Mercon V is this part of the tech article about Merc V and its compatability with seals in the earlier transmissions like my '94:

96 and up T-Birds & Cougars with the 4R70W use Mercon V. It can be used in the '94-'95 cars, but it is not recommended by Ford. Mercon-V is a
semi-synthetic ATF, introduced in 1997 for use in vehicles equipped with the 4R44E or 5R55E transmissions. The '98 model year 4R70W transmission, AX4S and AX4N transaxles use Mercon-V.

TSB-98-8-8 states: "Mercon-V is not interchangeable with the current Mercon service fluids. Using the incorrect fluid may cause transmission or translate concerns."

When asked why? Ford responded, "The synthetics work their way past seals and cause leaks and/or durability concerns". "The 1998 transmission seals are updated to prevent these problems" - Dayton Ford Service Technician.
and

Quote:
Originally posted by timb
To put your mind at ease I have been using MercV in my origional 94 trans since 50,000 and now 205,000 it isn't going to ruin your trans
(quotes from this thread )

Sigh. Can I use Mercon V or not? Did the 4R70W transmission change in design in '98?

By the way, I did use search, but since all the threads and TSBs give contradicting info, I decided to post (again) instead.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Dont feel bas about posting, afterall isnt that what his boards for, TO HELP>
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Leto
So:

TSB-98-8-7 says:
NOTE:

TSB 01-15-7's chart says that only starting in 1998, 4R70W transmissions should use Mercon V.
It also states that TSB 01-15-7 supersedes TSB 98-8-8 (which had that unreadable chart).

I also found

and

(quotes from this thread )

Sigh. Can I use Mercon V or not? Did the 4R70W transmission change in design in '98?

By the way, I did use search, but since all the threads and TSBs give contradicting info, I decided to post (again) instead.
--------------------------
I'm also confused; I also have Mercon V - like most people here, I'm sure- in my 97 4.6L T-bird, but that latter TBS worries me, too(especially 'cause it supercedes 98-8-8)...should we NOT use Mercon V, 'cause our T-birds have 4R70W' s builet BEGORE 1998? I haven't had any trouble with Mercon V so far, but can Mercon/Dex.III be better than Merc.V?
Any ideas about this?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:12 PM

you can use Mercon V in ANY 4r70w transmission, regardless of year.

Hope that clears it up for you. Mercon V is a superior part synthetic fluid, why would you want to go back to dino "ATX Taurus" fluid?

JH
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 PM

I've been using Mercon V for about 50,000 miles, and it has only helped. I changed it to Mercon V when I started experiencing torque converter shutter (feels like you are going over rough road when it shifts into OD), and have Never had that problem since. I also have 137,000 miles on my Cougar, and I drive it hard every day, and the tranny still shifts like new. I owe this to the Mercon V, and a good tranny cooler. I also have to tow a trailer with my car often, the last time being a 1,000 lb trailer over the VA and Tenn. Mountains with no problems from my tranny. Use the Mercon V, you won't regret it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have been using Mercon V in my T-Bird, for about 50,000 miles, too.

I switched over at the 140,000 mile mark (while doing J-Mod), and have not had any problems- PERIOD.

The tranny has 193,000 miles, and has never been rebuilt.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolling-Thunder
I have been using Mercon V in my T-Bird, for about 50,000 miles, too.

I switched over at the 140,000 mile mark (while doing J-Mod), and have not had any problems- PERIOD.

The tranny has 193,000 miles, and has never been rebuilt.
-------------------------------------

Hi Steve, and others,

thanks for the replies...I'm glad I've made the right choice by going to Mercon V, and like you've suggested I''ll stay with it.
However, as I switched to Merc.V, I had the tranny/converter flushed(dealer), and fuilled with Merc.V, the filter/gasket was not changed, so I still might have some of the old fluid(don't know what was in it, but probably not Merc.V)left in it. Next time, I hope to have the filter/gasket/screen also replaced, along with flushing...the tranny feels ok, though, except for the very 1st 3-4 of the day, where it does a little "pause"...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 PM

allright, this is my first post on these forums (though i've been looking around for a couple weeks), i'm 18 and just got my first car 3 weeks ago, a '94 t-bird, it's got about 59,500 miles on it, and it's been getting some rough shifts (this 'shudder' as i understand it), from the sounds of this mercon V stuff, it'll help out with those and help keep my transmission from blowing to hell and back, since this is my first car though, i'm not familiar with pricing on maintenance, how much would it cost me to get a local transmission shop to drain my trans, flush it, and fill it up with mercon V?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:43 PM

I cringe to ask what a shop would get, and they probably wouldn't do the job properly (draining the converter, draining the radiator lines)

You can do the job yourself for 35 bucks in fluid, and 12 bucks for a filter.

JH
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic_Reducer
allright, this is my first post on these forums (though i've been looking around for a couple weeks), i'm 18 and just got my first car 3 weeks ago, a '94 t-bird, it's got about 59,500 miles on it, and it's been getting some rough shifts (this 'shudder' as i understand it), from the sounds of this mercon V stuff, it'll help out with those and help keep my transmission from blowing to hell and back, since this is my first car though, i'm not familiar with pricing on maintenance, how much would it cost me to get a local transmission shop to drain my trans, flush it, and fill it up with mercon V?
----------------------------------------
Sonic reducer,

I had it done at a Ford dealer for 140 bucks; fluid, labour and all.
I knew it was going to be expensive, but I'm not an expert on such things to do it myself, and I wanted to make sure that it was done correctly. independant shops quoted similar prices, or even higher than the dealer...
go to a delaer/shop that has a flush-machine., and if it's an independant shop, make sure they have the correct Fluid: Mercon V; if they don't, ask if you can buy it and bring it yourself (you can get it at any dealer)
I think the tranny takes about 13 qts, incl. torque converter.
....Good luck!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 08:51 AM
4th Gear Poster

Anybody here using valvoline durablend? It has mercon v on the label. Also, how difficult is it do a j-mod?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in