U-Joints - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

U-Joints

Ya know id think they be more topics on this. I looked didnt see any. Well i have a problem. It seems when ever i start moving i here an clunk not all the time tho. And when i was backing up a hill it clunked real bad when i put it in R. My buddy thinks its Ujoints and as i understand it they are cheap and easy enofe to do. He said i should replace the cir-clips too. What are they anyways? i figure id replace them both at once. its that or the ball joints what do you guys think? Also anyone know a step by step walk tro for Ujoints? ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Well, the following post is rather lengthy, but it's the U-joint procedure from the 1995 Service manual:

I hope this helps, as I am not certain at all what is meant by the "clip" replacement.

Good luck to you.

--Pete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

woo that confusd me ever more. lol ahh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Sorry, mon!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:14 AM
PostWhore

As far as I know, a circlip or C-clip is basically just a type of snap ring.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 04:23 PM

C-Clip vs. Cir-Clip!!!

The C-Clip is used to hold the axles in the differential, of a solid 8.8" axle car. It's sorta like a Lg. flat washer, with one side cut out. Hence the "C" name.

A Cir-Clip holds the axle stub in the differential of an 8.8" IRS car. It's like a split, spring steel O-Ring. It goes around the axle stub. When the stub is inserted into the side gear, the Cir-Clip expands into a groove cut in the side gear.

I have no idea why your friend thinks that the Cir-Clips need to be replaced, (maybe he has NO IDEA either!!!!!). Cir-Clips will not cause the problem you described.

68COUGAR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 PM
PostWhore

Changing U joints isn't always as easy as it looks... and they'll usually make a terrible squeaking noise that goes up with speed when they die. I think I'd be sure that's what I needed before I tackled it.

Get her up in the air on a lift and check for looseness anywhere under the rear end... nothing should move when you push/pull on the drive shaft, the pumpkin, the half shafts or the spindles. Check the sway bar too. Once you've found what's loose you'll know what to buy. If it's making all that racket something is going to be loose... My guess is your IRS center section bushings are shot, lots of posts about that.

I haven't done 'Bird u joints (mine have 130k on 'em) but Chevy ones have a C clip that holds the caps in place, maybe that's what his friend meant. You know the Chevy guys don't always know what's up
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

hmm.. replaced tranny mount, diff bushings, and u-joints with all new (rubber, polyurethane and HD respectively)... still get the clunk every once in a while..

JD
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Sway bar end links, maybe?

68COUGAR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 PM

I just did U joints on my bird, dont do like me, have your shaft with everything on it balanced BEFORE you put it back in. And the 8 dollar U joint comes with new clips all around, so thats not even an issue. I had to hammer mine to make the last clip go in, I guess it seats the needle bearings too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in