1st to 2nd shift seems late and too hard - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 1st to 2nd shift seems late and too hard

1st to 2nd shift seems late and too hard

Just bought the car (95 tbird, 4.6l V8) and still feeling it out for trouble. When I took it for the test drive I thought that the car shifted into 2nd late by about 500 rpms. It’s not noticeable under normal driving, but if you take off with a little gas applied, it will shift into 2nd at like 3500 rpms and into 3rd at only like 2500. Seems odd to me.

The shift into first is also much harder than the shift into other gears, which can barely be felt.

So I was reading the tech articles and they seem to point to a 1 – 2 accumulator.

So my questions…
1) How much should I expect to pay to have this fixed
2) Would this be a good time to put a trans – go shift kit in the car? I don’t want to spend a bundle putting a shift kit in, but if they have to drop the tranny anyway then I might as well do this.

Either way I am going to put a tranny cooler and merkon V oil in her. this is my 4th bird and the three prior all had serious tranny issues at some point in their lives.

Thanks in advance
- Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
hard 1-2 shift can be attributed to a shot spring. trans go is a no, do the Jerry mod its much easier. Remember to replace the accumulator pistons with the updated rubber bonded ones. The j-mod is cheap its all OE parts..1-2 accum piston, 2-3 piston, seperator plate gaskets, Mercon V, new filter and gasket, get the filter for the 96-97 and get the deep sump pan. Its a little pricey from ford, try a junk yard for the pan to, if you dont like the stealership price.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I was reading a bit about the J-mod and it seems very intimidating to a guy like me, who has never seen the inside of a transmission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in