new - poly rear diff mount - *pics* - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Arrow new - poly rear diff mount - *pics*

Sumthin' I've been piddlin' with, thought I'd see what feedback there might be on this. It's a rear differential mount for the MN12 IRS that I removed the rubber from. Added a bridge on top for good measure and replaced the stock rubber with shore 90 polyurethane.
Has a little bit of "give" to it but nowhere near the mushiness of the stock rubber. Gonna test it on my '94 5spd for a week and see if I can break either it or my rear cover.

thanks,

'bird

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Looks good to me, if yoy break the iron diff cover, you might look into getting a Cobra aluminum cover. They're stronger.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by AverageJoe
Looks good to me, if yoy break the iron diff cover, you might look into getting a Cobra aluminum cover. They're stronger.
Thanks for the compliment but correct me if I'm incorrect...I thought all MN12 diff covers are aluminum?

'bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Sheepish

Quote:
Originally posted by tbird88

Thanks for the compliment but correct me if I'm incorrect...I thought all MN12 diff covers are aluminum?

'bird
Well, a guy I know went through 3 diff covers on his 99 Cobra thinking they'd be stronger because they're iron, but none of the iron ones held up to the punishment the aluminum cover took.

And all factory MN12 diff covers are iron, FN10s have aluminum.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:58 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Hmmm.....that's funny the housing on mine was iron and the rear cover was aluminum and the 8.8 pumpkin that was swapped in was the same way.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Anybody got a pic of the diff cover for a Cobra? I'd like to see about makin' a poly mount for them also.

'bird
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Sheepish

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodeo Joe
Hmmm.....that's funny the housing on mine was iron and the rear cover was aluminum and the 8.8 pumpkin that was swapped in was the same way.

Joe
And I bow to your higher wisdom.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:08 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
Cover aluminum, housing Iron.

I want one of those mounts....HOW MUCH?!

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

that the same in the auto no???

looks almost just like the one on my 97.. was wondering about that rubber piece of junk, it's starting to "flake"

Let us know!!!

JD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:46 PM

yeah! i could see myself buying one of those if the price is right my rubber stuff is like falling out i think
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraRThunder
Cover aluminum, housing Iron.

I want one of those mounts....HOW MUCH?!
CobraRThunder
Sorry to hafta put you off but...I really have no idea if the poly I used will hold up, it's supposed to as far as poly goes. Only thing that I'm concerned with is if the poly will stay in the mount & not wiggle out.
I've used this poly before in other applications and let me tell ya this stuff sticks like it ain't nobody's business, it actually stuck so good I ruined some parts tryin' to get it off and wound up havin' to throw the parts away. Being the surfaces were sandblasted before I poured this one I doubt there's any way it'll come loose but then again there's always Murphy's Law...

Anyways, this particular mount is on its way to Canada as we speak, couldn't say no to the buyer. If it stands up to his car then I'll go ahead and produce a few more. If I get a chance, I'll knock out one in the meantime and try it on my car like I originally intended to do.

I sold this first one as-is but in the future (hopefully next week) it's lookin' more & more like the base price will be 75.00 + 20 core (someone on another bbs said the factory rubber mount is 120-130?), shipping about 6 bucks in the states.

Appreciate your interest, sorry to be so long-winded but just tryin' to cover my...bases.

thanks,

'bird
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:44 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
Haha...I went to ford the other day to buy the mount. They told me it was discontinued. So I was SOL. But it was only in thier computer for 75.00 at ford. So I went home drilled straight trhough mine, and put a bolt in it...effective, but Hiljack at the same time. Chris

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesD
that the same in the auto no???

looks almost just like the one on my 97.. was wondering about that rubber piece of junk, it's starting to "flake"

Let us know!!!

JD
Sure is JD, same for auto or 5spd.

thanks for your interest,

'bird
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:44 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:

(someone on another bbs said the factory rubber mount is 120-130?), shipping about 6 bucks in the states.
thanks,

'bird
Wynn,the OE mount is not discontinued,and is approx $26.I picked one up at Kinsel's when Dan was still not setup at the new location.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Langton
Wynn,the OE mount is not discontinued,and is approx $26.I picked one up at Kinsel's when Dan was still not setup at the new location.
JL
Wow, if they're that reasonable then it sounds like a good place to get motor mounts too! Maybe I misread the dude's post, maybe he stuck a "1" in where it wasn't supposed to be. Ah well, you know how those TBU'ers can get sometimes...

By the way, I'm really tryin' to finish guttin' this car by the weekend. I might just break out the bottled wrench and bring ya the whole roof (seriously!) and let you have all the fun.

'bird
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:54 PM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:

Wow, if they're that reasonable then it sounds like a good place to get motor mounts too! Maybe I misread the dude's post, maybe he stuck a "1" in where it wasn't supposed to be. Ah well, you know how those TBU'ers can get sometimes...

By the way, I'm really tryin' to finish guttin' this car by the weekend. I might just break out the bottled wrench and bring ya the whole roof (seriously!) and let you have all the fun.

'bird
Yeah,the whole roof would be fine..That way I can see first hand exactly how all of that roof track crap comes out.Ford motor mounts are not cheap by any means..but Advanced does have SC/5.0L rubber mounts for $25-30.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in