Transmission hesitates after stops - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Transmission hesitates after stops

I'm having a strange tranny problem. Every time I make a short stop, like at a stop sign, or a near stop, the tranny seems to go out of gear. I can rev up the engine and it'll just sit there. A second or two later, it'll shift back into gear and roll on like normal. It even does it if I shift to neutral until I stop and then put it back in drive. However, I have no trouble going if I've been stopped for a while, like at a red light, or if it has been parked. It's just a momentary pause after deceleration.

Here's the deal. I've changed the MLPS with no apparent effect. I haven't changed to Mercon V or employed the JMod yet. I want to do these at the same time to save money. I don't have the money for the JMod right now though. Would it likely be one of these, or should I just worry about getting a new transmission? Thanks.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Could be the 1-2 accumulator sticking... you might think it's in neutral when it is actually just starting in 2nd gear... then it moves back into place and shifts to 1st once you're moving again. I've had it happen to me with more than 1 4r70w... but whether this is what you're experiencing, I'm not 100% sure.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Forgive me, for I have overlooked something very simple. The fluid level was low. A few weeks ago, I swapped radiators and there had been no leak up to that point. Apparently, I hadn't tightened the tranny lines enough. Now the lines are tightened enough (I hope), the fluid is filled, and the car drives about as well as a stock 3.8 will.

I have another somewhat related question. Why are there transmission lines running to the radiator? Is it basically a stock tranny cooler that isn't sufficient or does it have a whole other purpose? Thanks.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 04:06 PM

That's were your transmission cooler is located from the factory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in