J-Mod Questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

J-Mod Questions

I'm thinking of having the J-Mod done on my '97 T-bird, so I've been reading the tech articles and old message board posts related to the subject. I have pretty much no experience working on cars but I think I have the gist of what's going on with the J-mod. I just want to make sure I understand:

-- The J-Mod is and the Transgo and B&M kits do similar things, but the J-Mod is better and comes highly recommended.
-- I won't need to have the chip reburned in order for the J-Mod to be effective.

Because I don't feel confident doing this myself (although some guys say its pretty easy) I think I'm going to find a shop to do it. If I do decide to try it myself with the help of someone with a clue, about how long does it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

The 'J-mod' was designed by the Senior Design Engineer of the 4R70W transmission; the other shift kits aren't. To me, that is a huge difference in favor of the 'J-mod.' I read, studied, and re-read the articles and posts for a year before I had it done. My brother, who works on cars as a side job and hobby, assisted me with the basic 'J-mod.' Including a well-deserved dinner break, the modification took just under 4 hours.

I have an Apten chip, and reburning is not required if a transmission shift kit/J-mod is performed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
It's been said a few times... but.. it bears repeating.

If you can change your oil, you can handle the basic steps of the j-mod. Just be careful and take your time. Be extra careful with the drilling of the seperator plate because that's an expensive unit. The 1-2 accum and the 2-3 accum are painfully simply jobs if you have some help, though the snap rings can be something of a bear to remove.

If you've got a mechanic you can trust to do it and not ream you or screw something up, then take it to them if you want. It's a very simple task, (just time consuming) especially with A-Train's instructions.

1994 SC 5-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253560
1996 4.6L R.I.P December 02, 2004
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560841
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I do change my own oil, so maybe I will try it myself. What's the worst that could happen?

Although the chip isn't necessary, would it help improve the shifting?

Thanks, guys.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
No More BS

yes the chip will further improve your shift points since the 4r70w is electronically controlled. Get the chip and you will be pleasently suprised. It really wakes up or big girls.

1988 Lincoln Mark VII
Paxton Novi 1000 6psi kit, 30lb injectors 73mm C&L, MAF converted A3M, gt-40's, Felpro headgaskets, 1.7 Cobra RR's, typhoon intake,1 5/8 shorty headers, off road x-pipe, and full mandrel catback, electric fan, 3.73's, TKO 500, pro 5.0 shifter

372.4hp / 394.6tq 5psi

Rest in Peace Joel R. Bender.
July 30, 1979 - March 26, 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in