Originally posted by chadg
Cool. I just filled the gas tank. I'll just siphon it out...
Cutting those ears off sounds easy enough for me. It's the precision-work that kills me!
So the order of disassembly is exhaust, gastank, driveshaft, starter, then tranny. Correct? I don't think I missed anything.
Thanks for the help J and JL, you guys rock. Free rides for you both whenever I'm down in OK and TX respectively.
The simple method:
1. Have the car up on all four corners, you want all four wheels off the ground.
2. Place a floor jack up under the rear differential, undo all four of the bolts on the differential and then slowly let it down to rest on the axles which then rest on the lower control arms, the pumpkin will then swing with the driveshaft flange pointing downward.
3. Slide the driveshaft back, now you do not have to remove the tank.
4. Disconnect wiring / shifter cable.
5. Remove bellhousing bolts.
6. Use floor jack with plywood/MDF or transmission jack to put under the transmission.
7. Unbolt the rear mount/crossmember and remove.
8. Slide transmission back and down.
Installation opposite of removal.
Just hacking them off flush works fine, unfortunately I had to cut mine off after the transmission was already installed as I didn't know they were going to be a problem.
Hope this helps out.