Pinion Angle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to TMcColl
Pinion Angle

I have read a lot of posts about how pinion angle can effect drive train vibration. I have not seen any thing on how this angle can be adjusted.

Is there an adjustment or a measurement that can be made???

Thanks

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.
Just two runs at 5800 ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 04:24 PM

It's usually adjusted with shims at the differential, (or rear end), mounts. The pinion angle should be equal to the tailshaft yoke angle, (u-joint mounts at both ends of the driveshaft should be parallel - lower or higher is OK, they just need to be parallel), or the u-joints will bind. In other words, if the tranny tailshaft is angled down, the rear end would be angled up the same degrees, so that the centerlines of each are parallel.

The easiest way to check this is with one of those little carpenter protractors that have a bubble level in them that can be rotated against a degree readout on the protractor. Just rotate the tranny yoke and rear end yoke so the u-joint mounts are going straight up/down, (u-joints out), and pop the protactor in to the u-joint seats, then adjust the rotating level on the protractor so the bubble is centered and read the degrees.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

John,

Thanks for the info. If tomorrows work does not solve my problem I will get one of those and do the measuring.

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:47 PM

If it's on your T-Bird, and you have all stock parts, (tranny, rear end, mounts, etc.), I think it's pretty unlikely pinion angle would be a problem, since all that stuff comes with fixed mounting from the factory, and unless you have different parts or your frame/unibody has been dinged, there's not really much way for it to get out of alignment. What kind of vibration problems are you having? Does it vibrate at speed both in/out of gear? And what work are you doing tomorrow? I notice you have an MMC driveshaft on the T-Bird, so that shouldn't be causing vibration.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Kind of a long story. I have the 3:73 Pumpkin bought new from Ford. This was installed around the end of the year. I had a different one in for a while before that but it whined and had some clutch problems so had to be replaced. I did make a trip to Omaha with the first pumpkin installed and with the stock DS. Speeds of aboput 100 were run with no problems that can be remembered. However when replacing the noisy pumpkin I also had a Mark VIII T/C put in and since I was going all out I bought a Mark VIII shaft new from Ford. Also had new IRS bushings and new tranny mount put in. Well with the Mark VIII DS top speed was limited to about 65 unless you wanted your filings to fall out. Put the original shaft back in, the snow tires on and got through the winter. Some time right after taking off the snow tires I made a trip to St. Louis. I noticed a vibe that would start at around 70 - 75 and get progressively worse as speed went up. This is when I bought the MMC shaft but the problem is still there. I thought maybe the MArk DS damaged something but the yokes on both the new and my old DS do not show any damage. We put the old shaft back in just as a reference and the noise/vibration is worse I believe it is a bad wheel bearing or a bad half shaft, which we are going to check tomorrow. If not that then the pumpkin could be bad The noise is definetely coming from the rear.

Also I have new tires and they have been balanced and rebalanced.

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:27 AM

Good luck! It does sound more like bad bearing/halfshaft.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

John,

FYI

Have not been out to the Hwy yet but it appears that the new half shafts did not solve the problem. I am going to leave them in because the old ones have 165,xxxx miles on them. Looks like this is going to boil down to a bad pumpkin which was bopught new from Ford around the first of the year. I cant imagine that my beater with 165,000 miles has the beans to tear up a rear end designed for a Cobra.

Will see on Wed when I put the original pumpkin back in. What a mess

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 10:18 AM
PostWhore

Did you break in the gears properly? Do they make any noise?

John

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7
1992 Thunderbird GT 5.0L
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The gears were broken in slowly and they do not whine. The noise is more of a grumble that starts about 60 and by 80 you get the feeling that you really shouldnt go any faster.

T

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by johnaec
Good luck! It does sound more like bad bearing/halfshaft.
Well john I thought you would like to know that today we took out the FRRP 3:73 pumpkin and put my old 3:08 open back in. Noise is gone and the vibration is gone.
Also looks like metal shavings in the gear oil.
Hard to imagine.
What a bummer.

Tony

Tony McColl
1994 LX 4.6L
New motor as of Aug 1st.
No Dyno Numbers yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in