Binding Help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Binding Help

Alrighty, We're on hour 10 of the tranny swap. We've got the new kid up in there, but whenever we tighten the bellhousing bolts down it binds up. I've read through the threads via search and we've tried a few of thing things, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions/courses of action? Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If the tranny is binding up most likely the TC is bound up - lower the tranny and rotate the TC until it seats fully. Then It'll go up like a charm. But be careful not to dislodge the TC putting it up! Everyone including myself has this problem the first few times you do it... no biggie. good luck.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

The TC was and is seated fully. The Flywheel is boted to the TC too. Everything is fine when the bolts are finger-tight. It's the last bit of tigtening thats a problem. I'm so confused because I don't possibly see what is binding anywhere.... It's so frustrating to have worked on something for 12 hours now and I see nothing from it.

On top of that I don't even know if the tranny works, seeing at it's my first rebuild. Did I not put it back together right? Is this the reason for my problems? There's so many variables here for what's wrong I want to scream...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Is it possible for the input shaft to be out too far? Everything I measured added up right durring reassembly, but I could see myself getting screwed by something stupid like that. Is it possible for the pump to fully seat in the housing if the input shaft isn't seated fully?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Just went downstairs and measured... unfortunately I dont have my AODE together enough to measure, but my old AOD has 7/16" from the end of the TC studs to the edge of the bellhousing... the distance should be the same or very very close. If the TC is the right distance from the bellhousing I'd look for something else in the way... The TCs are very deceptive to get right, and they slip out of place very easily. I still think this is it. If not, let us know what the #s are.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for checking....

Measured everything we could. we get 7/16's to 8/16's from the moutning point of the tc's to the outside of bellhousing on the old trans...

On the new trans, we can't get it go go more than 5/16's in. We're missing just a little itty bit. Everything is correct on the input shaft. Lengths, depths, etc etc. Perhaps something is hard to get in because it's new???

Wow this is crazy.... No sleep for me I guess!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hmm... so the TC studs stick out 1/8" further on the new trans than the old one? The outer gear the TC engages is part of the pump, the inner is the direct clutch shaft... so the distance between the ends of the 2 shafts should be the same on both trannies. The outer shaft should be in the same spot no matter what. I can't imagine the pump would be seated wrong. Do you have a second TC to test fit on both trannies? It shouldn't matter, but maybe it would help you figure what's going on...

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I measured 2.5" from the end of the TC seal to the end of the outer shaft - is the TC seal seated properly?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Yup, 2.5 inches here on both trannies. Another 2.5 from the end of the fat shaft to the end of the small shaft.

Tranny is back up, only two bolts in are the dowel ones. Oncew e start tightening them it bings up once again.

WHen we had it down we wiggled it around and got it in what seemed like 1/2", so thats 8/16's, which is supposidly good. But this damn binding. This is just rediculous.

I don't now what i'm going to do. I need this car to be able to move but it's just not happening. With my luck i'm going to have to have it towed somewhere and pay out the rear... I always have the crappiest luck....

*edit* everything seems to be identical. Even the room for the TC shaft to slide on in the seal is right. The seals are the same, pump depth, shaft depth, everything. I just don't understand what in the hell is happening here....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

*edit*

Ok. 4AM. Still ticking. I've made some very interesting discoveries.

Old TC fits fine in both. It seems the PI somehow was forced into the two shaft flat spots, where there wern't flat spots. So it seems we never had it in far enough in the first place. I was measuring the 8/16ths to the mounting point of the flexplate, when that ammount should be to the center stud. The force of us manhandling it flatspotted the shaft and physically bent it a bit.

No bother. Huge mallet, 30 minutes, and a trailer hitch ball and we've got it straightened out. PI is fully seated in the tranny, and all seems well. I'll blame the noises when I turn it on the lack of fluid inside.

YOu don't install a TC for a year and you forget how the dang thing is supposed to sit. Then stuff breaks. I'm moderately surprised at my stupidity, I really feel sheepish on this one.

Ok. 4AM. Track opens at 7:30, and its an hour away.

Can you race on no sleep? I'll keep you guys updated. (Poor JL and J are gonna read this when they wake up and think i'm nuts)

Last edited by chadg; 10-12-2003 at 04:15 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Tranny & starter are in, no binding problems.

Now the driveshaft doesn't want to slide in. Damn new bushing. It better not be bent, I used a lead cylinder w/ duct tape. I'd think that would be soft enough...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

6:40AM CST. Sun is starting to come up, it's a crisp 40* outside.

Driveshaft is on, just needed some hammering. Diff is up. Exhaust & JL's subframes are going back up. Everything else is done. We're almost there.

I woke up 23 hours ago. I won't be sleeping for many more.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 07:10 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by chadg
I woke up 23 hours ago. I won't be sleeping for many more.
Usually 15 hours is my limit no matter what time of day or what I'm doing. That's 15 hours of waking time and average of about 8 hours of sleep. Sometimes I can stay up a lot longer but it depends on how much I slept the last time out.

You might consider sleeping exactly 90 minutes. I saw somewhere online that it can really refresh someone who pulls an all-nighter almost as much as getting a full 8 hours. The 90 minutes allows you to go into the necessary REM sleep.

Oh well, I hope everything works out for you today. Peace

I come from a dusty place.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Maybe we can all catch 30min of sleep on the ride there.

8:10 AM. Everythings bolted back up, car is running, goes into gear, hasn't blown up yet. Just got out of the shower, time to go racing!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 AM

go chad go, get that 11 second slip, then go home a build a cage
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 10:22 AM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally posted by chadg
Tranny & starter are in, no binding problems.

Now the driveshaft doesn't want to slide in. Damn new bushing. It better not be bent, I used a lead cylinder w/ duct tape. I'd think that would be soft enough...
This is not good dude..that shaft should have slid right on with very little resistance.
I had to install the bushing 2 times to keep a flake of aluminum from rolling up under the bushing and wedging it out of round.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Quote:
Old TC fits fine in both. It seems the PI somehow was forced into the two shaft flat spots, where there wern't flat spots. So it seems we never had it in far enough in the first place.
I know this is too late as you will possabley have blown up tranny already at the track but if you forced the T/C into the front pump you need to pull the tranny back apart as it has damanged it!

Quote:
Driveshaft is on, just needed some hammering. Diff is up. Exhaust & JL's subframes are going back up. Everything else is done. We're almost there.
Drive shaft yoke should slide in if not somethin is wrong that cannot be fixed by hammering it in. Bushing probly out of round!

I hope this tranny makes it through the strip test.

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Just got off the phone with Chad. Everthing seems to be working really well. So far one run and hte tranny is working very well.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Everything has endup workin out in the end. The tranny help up fine to a bunch of 12 sec passes. The driveshaft went in with a wee bit of persuasion, but it didn't have to be physically beat in. As for the TC, it's all fine. I fixed it up before the install.

As for my body with no sleep... Wow I feel rough. Staying awak is real hard.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Glad to hear you got it together, and it held up okay.

I thought it had to be the TC binding up... maybe I'm not nuts after all.

Or maybe I am....
haha.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to throw out a huge thanks to JL, OKCBird and Silver95Bird for their help as I made my way through this project. You guys helped me a ton!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in