TCCoA Forums banner

Will I have any problems with this?

790 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SCme 
#1 ·
I have a freshly rebuilt 8.8 28 spline with new 3.73:1 rear gears installed, 225$ shipped

Out of a 88-89 Stang. Will I have any problem? Should I look for somthing else? I am somwhat a noobie to the rear end thang. Thanks!

#2 ·
when you say 8.8, did you mean the whole rear end cause if so it would not fit cause mustang don't have IRS only the 99-up cobra does and even that you can't use. The only thing you can probably use is the ring and pinion, i could be wrong there could be other things you can use, i doubt it though

#3 ·
Cobra Pumpkin is 31 spline I believe... whereas we have a 28 spline rear end.

Any 8.8 28 spline should work.. I don't know anything about the stangs, so no clue what years had what rear-ends.

But.. who am I to judge :)

#4 ·
You should be able to use the whole carrier..........but MN12....... your right, the solid axle wont work under the MN12 chassis........and if nothing works at all, the ring gear it self WILL work as long as it is 28 spline {which you said it is} you will be ok

Chris

#5 ·
Any solid axle 28 spline Tloc will fit a IRS, but you have to change out the side gears first.

1999 Cobra IRS pumpkin is a direct fit as they are the only ones with 28 spline, 2000 and newer are 31 spline, so their side gears will have to be changed out also.

Does not matter what spline axle one has for a ring and pinion, as long as it is made for an 8.8 rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.