Trans going? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Trans going?

Another problem now...

When I go from 1st to 2nd gear its fine, however there is no 3rd gear It just revs higher and higher like its not even there. I think this tranny has had it. I tried taking out the memory fuse, but no luck. I dunno what to do and I dont have 2000 for a new/rebuilt tranny

I really, really need help. I cant even get to work (well I can but but I will be driving @ like 25 mph)

Also when in park I hear this wierd noise from under the car, like somthing trying to spin but it cant. Not really a grinding though. LIke sandpaper rubbing against metal.

There is no leaks from the car. I checked while running and while off. All fluids are a-ok. Last trans fluid change was 2 weeks ago (had no choice really since both trans gaskets went on the car) Last oil change like 700 mi ago.

Please help...thank you.

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like the direct clutch is toasted. Usually thats the cause of no 3rd gear. It's going to have to be rebuilt. The direct clutch sits on the output shaft, its about the first thing to go in during a rebuild.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I spoke to a local guy around my block. It wil cost about $1300 for a rebuild...however it doesnt matter cause I have no money. I am broke. I have no idea what to do now. Do I continue to drive it @ 25 mph and continue to kill the trans slowly but surely and save, or do I try to find another car...thats not a t-bird

I love that car too...I hate this ****. I get a nice car that I really do like and bam...after like 2k mi on it the trans gets ****ed up. No matter how much money I save I can never actually save it. Its always something else. Need this, need that...I hate this......

In short, besides me getting pissed off...I dunno what to do

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You could always find a lower mileage junkyard one for cheap and throw it in...

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Give Greenleaf a call, and get a used trans from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in