TCCoA Forums banner

fluid color

692 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wm_sorg 
#1 ·
I changed the ATF on my other 92 bird with a 3.8 and an AOD about a year ago. Is it normal for the color to be almost all brown, barley red after just a year? There are no signs of slipping.

Jake

#4 ·
20,000 KM's stop and go more than highway, I can't smell it but some guy was trying to tell me it smelled burnt! I've never noticed any slipage and I really didn't smell anything.

Jake

#6 ·
does the AOD have a drian plug? If not I doubt it was fully changed... the shop didn't even know about the AODE plug so they wouldnt have even done that unless I told them! Thanks, I think you figured it out!

Jake

#7 ·
There is no drain plug for the transmission. You have to drop the pan. However there is a drain plug for the torque converter. On the bottom of the aluminium bellhousing you will see a rubber gromet. Remove it then spin the engine until you line up the tc drain plug. I think it's a 11 or 12 mm plug. The tc will take a long time to drain. Make sure you use a fluid that meets the mercon v specification.

Also make sure you do not discard the pan gasket. It is reusable! Those cork gaskets suck. I found out the hard way!

BILL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.