No lock up. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

No lock up.

My torque converter doesn't lock up anymore. I noticed this on the way to work this morning. I was doing 70 mph and noticed the engine was turning 2300 rpm instead of the usual 2000 rpm. The slightest presure on the accelerator causes the engine to slip another 300 rpm until the speedometer catches up. It does this on the street also. It's a Gt torque converter that I installed a year and a half ago when I did the GT engine swap. Do I need a flush and fill a new torque converter or is this more serious? Thanks for any help!

Eric

2000 GT engine

Nakamichi CD 500, Nakamichi MB 70 in dash cd changer, three Nakamichi amps (1000 watts), 10 inch sub, MB Quart speakers (4 5x7 and 2 6x9)

2003 Mustang Mach 1

"The fast ones always ride for free"
Andrew Wood (R.I.P.) Mother Love Bone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Usually this only happens under 2 conditions: 1 it delays lockup while the trans is cold, to help warm up faster. 2 the EEC saw something it doesnt like and its unlocking the TC to 'save it'. See if there are any codes in the EEC at an autozone. get the code # and we'll see what we can do. the second case happens in these cars when the TC's wear out, but i dont think the 00 should have worn out unless somethings really wrong. How does the fluid look? use a white paper towel and tells us the color and smell.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:46 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Isn't there a solonoid in the trans that controls the lockup? Maybe that took a dump

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Boom.

Tim, there sure is...and that is possible...

I have noticed twice, on what were probably the two coldest days in the last year here, that when I started my car up and went for a 10-minute drive, max speed 45 mph, that the TC did not lock. I was sitting around 1500 in OD and it was obviously not locked up. I'm thinking temp might have something to do with it.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:22 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Palmguy,

In your case I think you are correct the EEC changes the lockup schedule to bring the fluid up to temp and also the oposite if it gets too hot will lock more often.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well I checked the fluid and it's definatly not red any more! It's a pinkish-brown color. As far as codes go, a couple of weeks ago the O/D light flashed twice during a one week period, both times I checked for codes with my scanner and nothing came up. I didn't know what to make of it because the car was running fine. Anyway I'm going to drain the trans and tc and put in some fresh Merc V and hope that works.

2000 GT engine

Nakamichi CD 500, Nakamichi MB 70 in dash cd changer, three Nakamichi amps (1000 watts), 10 inch sub, MB Quart speakers (4 5x7 and 2 6x9)

2003 Mustang Mach 1

"The fast ones always ride for free"
Andrew Wood (R.I.P.) Mother Love Bone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:09 PM

Silver's on the money. The engine coolant has to be above a certain point before lock will be commanded. If the CPM commands lock and sees a slip, it will disable lockup for a while to keep the TCC from eating a hole in the TC.

Lockup is also disabled if the PCM sees the brake lights on, or sees closed throttle or WOT from the TPS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in