my tranny acts like a wuss - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Angry my tranny acts like a wuss

I have a 97 V8 bird with 50,000 miles and the tranny does a few things I am sure are normal but I don't like it and want to fix it. First when you take off normally or half-heartedly hotrodding the transmission shifts way before I think it should, like halfway through gear. Also, when accelerating pretty slow in traffic it tends to surge or buck when shifting from second to third. The best way to describe it is that it seems like it decides to shift and then changes its mind and so on and so on until it is wound up a little. It gives you a feeling like when you shift a manual tranny into a higher gear under a load and the truck starts to buck a little. Is this normal because of the "girly girl" calibration Ford set up for fuel economy and comfort or do I need to search for a problem somewhere? Also, will the J-mod or shift kit take care of it and if so who in South-central Missouri would want to help me do it when I get the money and time? I am fairly mechanically inclined but have a hang up messing with transmissions. Thanks, Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree, th later shiftpoints suck. It's a fuel mileage/emissions thing. When was the fluid last changed? I'd give it a fresh change of mercon V if it hasnt had one recently. I'm not sure if what you're describing could be TC shudder or not. The J-mod is a really great add-on to any AODE/4R70W. You can adjust the firmness of the shifts to whatever you'd like. Since I'm not sure of your problem, I can't say whether this is a specific fix though. I also recommend a tranny cooler if you dont yet have one.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Electronic transmissions suck. Swap in an AOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 08:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Quote:
Originally posted by zero89lx
Electronic transmissions suck. Swap in an AOD.
Uneduated post of the day.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:57 AM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Yea my tranny does that same "bucking" thing you desrcribed. If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it. It's been doing it since a couple weeks after I bought the car which is back in May of 2003. Hasn't gotton any worse or better since and hasn't changed any with my mods.

Oh and the bucking thing is not normal. I have driven plenty of MN12's and mine is the only one to do that!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH

Uneduated post of the day.
Hahaha. Sweet, I win.

Seriously though, electronic trannies are too unpredictable and jumpy. It was like night and day driving my t-bird and the family taurus. With the AOD, you know exactly when it's going to shift at what throttle and you have a lot more control over it. That's why when people take newer-model cars with electronics trannies and turn them into full-out drag cars they ususally yank 'em and put in c-6s and stuff.
Less problematic, too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have no idea what you're talking about. The 4R70W is probably the most predictable transmission I've ever had. I know when it'll shift, when it'll lock up the TC, and with the right programming I could make it do just about anything I wanted. The articles on this site detail how to build them for nearly 600 rwhp, so they can be reliable in high HP cars if proberly done. And most people who swap in C4's and C6's do it because they dont need the extra gear and like the weight savings. How do you get an AOD to shift into 3rd early and stay in 3rd to do a WOT dyno run? You can't.
This is about as ridiculous as the mustang guys yelling 'swap in a 5 speed' every time someone asks a question in an auto car.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
Quote:
Originally posted by zero89lx

Hahaha. Sweet, I win.

Seriously though, electronic trannies are too unpredictable and jumpy. It was like night and day driving my t-bird and the family taurus. With the AOD, you know exactly when it's going to shift at what throttle and you have a lot more control over it. That's why when people take newer-model cars with electronics trannies and turn them into full-out drag cars they ususally yank 'em and put in c-6s and stuff.
Less problematic, too.

look @ me sig.. i removed my "C4" cause, i disliked the unpredicatable shifts..

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:18 PM

I can't count the number of times this kind of trouble has been posted on the various boards. The trouble is that noone takes the trouble to learn how the powertrain control system works, and all the nasty little things that can make the tranny appear to behave erratically, from the valve body to the TPS to the cursed plug wires.

The fellow who can straighten out these problems can be you, if you are willing to do a great deal of reading, starting with the Ford service manuals, and ending with web articles and threads in this and other boards. The alternative is a good wrench at a good dealer or shop, who is supposed to know all this stuff. In either case, it is usually a tedious matter of detective work, checking everything until you find the cause of the problem. Not a fun exercise, but it feels good when you have a sweet running ride again.

Good luck, and share what you learn with the rest of us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in