What happened to my trac-lok? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Angry What happened to my trac-lok?

I installed my FRPP 3.73 rear end this afternoon and once I had the rear up on jack stands I spun one of the rear wheels to see if my e-brake was on. Well it wasnt on and when I spun the wheel the other spun the oppsite way....WTF! Can the TL portion of the rear go bad without any indication? I never felt or heard anything weird from that area. I have an E under AX on the door jam and once I had the old pumpkin out I saw the tag on it read 3L27. Could the car and pumpkin have been tagged wrong?

I'm glad the e-brake wasnt on and I found that out because my old pumpkin was going to Tim B. I he had gone throught all the work to put that in and it didnt have TL I would have felt like and A$$.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Yes the clutch packs can wear out or even the S sping that pushes against them can break. I'm still interested I'll just open it up and see what's inside

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron K.
I installed my FRPP 3.73 rear end this afternoon. I spun one of the rear ......and the other spun the oppsite way
Are you referring to the Old diff. or the new one? What you describe is exactly what an OPEN diff. should do. It's also what a trashed Trac-Loc will do! I've trashed 2 Trac-Locs, so I know what I'm talking about. With the first one, there was Nothing left of the friction or seperator plates, except magnetic sludge! The second one was all there, just the friction plates were completely worn out.

Quote:
I saw the tag on it read 3L27. Could the car and pumpkin have been tagged wrong?
Yes that's entirely possible. The tag decodes as a 3.27 Trac-Lok.

68COUGAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron K.
I have an E under AX on the door jam and once I had the old pumpkin out I saw the tag on it read 3L27. Could the car and pumpkin have been tagged wrong?
It's definitely a 3.27 Trak-lok rear... but they need frequent fluid changes ( I saw one Ford Spec say 100,000 miles!), otherwise they start working like a 1 wheel peel. My 95 went about 50k before it acted up, then about 50k more before it did it again. I'll be changing the one I install in the 97 at 25k intervals. Sounds like your axle needs a T-lok kit before it's reinstalled.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 02:26 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

What fluid is recommended for a traclok pumpkin?

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

gear oil and friction modifier. The ford spec is 80w90. If you off by 5 on either number it's no biggie.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in