T-45 swappers please respond here - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
T-45 swappers please respond here

Hey guys, i just wanted to get a thread here of the guys who have actually completed thier T-45 swap. Here is a start of the ones I know of that have it done.

-Jim M (bymet)
-John S (Papajohn)
-Scott (Scott)
-Jason (Jason)
-Chris K (Cobrarthunder, myself)
-Mark (Kleckner)

I think there are a few others floating araound out there that I have not mention that have recently converted thier 4.6L auto to a T-45. Speak up if you fall under this category.

I just wanted to start this post so the future swappers have a place to get information from those who have completed the task.

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794

Last edited by CobraRThunder; 01-21-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:14 AM
PostWhore

Roy has done it and has helped me during mine. Forgot his post name though
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Ooo Ooo, can I get on the list?!?

Sadly no, not yet.

Just thought I’d post that I'm slowly gathering up the parts for the transplant. I plan on the transplant to coincide with my DOHC swap when my current engine goes bye-bye.

Then happy days, happy days.... DOHC and T-45....

I would like to add one question though to this list: What differential ratio is everyone running with their T-45.

Any Mark VIII’s with T-45’s?

Additionally; thanks to everyone on this board that has posted their knowledge/experience with this swap.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Jim M's is a thunderbird with a DOHC Lincoln engine, and the T-45.

I am running a 3.73 rear gear, I think papajohn is running a 3.55. Both of us are supercharged as well.

4R70W From DirtyDog
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Quote:
Originally posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
not yet Looking into options though.

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

V8Thunder (Brian Stahl) has a 5-speed in his 5.4 bird.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM

I'm running 3.73s also, I'm happy with that ratio.

There is some scumbag on here who used to go by the name "krbond" or some thing
like that who may or may not have a 5-speed. I know because I machined some parts for him but never got paid. I'm not sure what he changed his name to but I think he did or he just doesn't post any more. If you know him send him my best !
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Sorry to hear about that scott...

We need a good buyer/bad buyer thread, and a good seller/bad seller as well.

Anyway, guess what I got to do today after waiting over a month, and not doing for over 2 months.....I DROVE THE BLOWN BEAST!!!! Its a blast, I have to go get it on a dyno to get an air fuel curve, so I can send the chip back to get some final touches on it to make it about perfect. But it roasts the Nitto's all the way to third...its a blast. I see anywhere from 6 PSI tp spikes of 9 PSI. I hope the bottom end holds together long enough for me to get my shortblock project done....I need rods, pistons, oil pump and ARP studs....donations wecome (I got the alum block and crank already)

4R70W From DirtyDog
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 PM

That's great news ! I can't imagine what a kick in the *** your car must be now.
Some day I may go for a blower but right now I have my eyes on a set of Recaro
seats. With my PI heads the motor wouldn't last long with a blower.

I'm not worried about getting screwed for a few hours of my time.
I don't believe in much but I do believe in karma ( and Carmen Electra )
So with any luck this dude is R.I.P.

Keep me posted on how it all goes.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Ooo Ooo, can I get on the list?!?

Sadly no, not yet.

Just thought I’d post that I'm slowly gathering up the parts for the transplant. I plan on the transplant to coincide with my DOHC swap when my current engine goes bye-bye.

Then happy days, happy days.... DOHC and T-45....

I would like to add one question though to this list: What differential ratio is everyone running with their T-45.

Additionally; thanks to everyone on this board that has posted their knowledge/experience with this swap.
I have a Mark VIII engine with a T-45 in my 95 LX. I'm running 3:27s in the rear since it's a daily driver & I'm on the freeway alot. I recently added true duals using a Mark LSC center cat (got to keep the smog nazis happy here in CA). Also just added the 13" front brake upgrake from DBRU. They sell a quality package at a reasonable price. Am currently working on a rear Cobra rotor upgrade.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:23 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jason
I Have a t-45 and 3.73's as well...... its quite hard to get traction in first gear to say the least...

I liked my car SOOO much that I recently got another 5-speed vehicle.... Except this one comes topless....

I have even debated whether or not to keep my Bird or to try to sell it as is... and fix up my new car....

Anybody want a 5-speed V8 Tbird... seriously..... I would probably get rid of the car chaeper than anybody could do the swap for .... or at least around the same price....

Lots of Stuff, but the important one is a "5-speed" 4.6L V8 (for sale)

2006 Toyota Tundra 4wd (new vehicle), to pull my boat one day when I get a boat
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:41 PM

What kind of price would you be looking at for the 5 sd Bird?? I would love to have a 5 in mine, but can't as of yet.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 04:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kleckner
Whitecoug - To do it right, at least $2K. Realistically. Buy a new or rebuilt transmission and save yourself some hassle, especially with power that is much greater than stock.

Update on my 'Bird: I completed my T-45 swap at the beginning of the summer amongst a ton of other big mods. I put the used '96 Cobra trans in without rebuilding it. I was out of money at that point, so I had no other option if I wanted to drive the car for the summer. Well, it broke in October on the day I was going to put it away for the winter.

NOTE: I learned the hard way beacause I bought one: A 1999-UP T-45 WILL NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK MECHANICAL SPEEDO PICKUP. They are different. This information was not easy to find a couple years ago when I started collecting parts for my swap. Buy a '96 or '97 Cobra trans if you can find one.

I will be converting my car to an external slave cylinder when the transmission is out getting its' rebuild. More custom fabrication is required, but an external slave is easier to adjust and service than the McLeod unit.

PS... Anyone want to purchase a McLeod Hydraulic T/O bearing for a T-45? Only a few thousand miles on this one. $200 shipped. It is still in the car, but it is coming out in a few weeks' time.

PPS - First gear is already ridiculous with a 3.55:1 gear. The problem I have is that with the stupid economy fifth gearset, the 4th to 5th step is really big for OT events. I can't seem to find a 0.83 gearset like the TKO II has in it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well...a 96-98 GT trans will work beter than the Cobras. but a 96-99 Cobra will work as well, just some crosmember modification needed. Chris

4R70W From DirtyDog
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 PM

Scott, I still have a copy of the money order i sent you, I really am sorry if you did not receive it. I will call the bank directly to see if it hasn't clear and will be more then happy to send you the money again plus anything else you feel is necessary to make things right. I send the money and shortly after that left for basic training at fort jackson. Will once I returned my email address was cancel and my 95 bird was stolen (all that work I did). I since then have purchased 2 SC and am looking for another 95 to do the swap again in. If you would please email me a number or way in which I can get a hold of you. again i am very sorry am would like the chance to fix this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally posted by Kleckner

NOTE: I learned the hard way because I bought one: A 1999-UP T-45 WILL NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK MECHANICAL SPEEDO PICKUP. They are different. This information was not easy to find a couple years ago when I started collecting parts for my swap. Buy a '96 or '97 Cobra trans if you can find one.
I learned too late about the speedometer sending unit also (I bought a 99 T-45 cobra tranny). But, have you checked into the calibration boxes? From what I have researched, they will interface with the new hall effect sending unit and work fine with our gauges.

I haven't tried this, but I called California Mustang (at least that is who I think it was) and they said it would work. That avenue is a lot better than buying a new transmission.

Just thought I'd pass that along as a possible solution (but no guarantees).

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kleckner
Quote:

I haven't tried this, but I called California Mustang (at least that is who I think it was) and they said it would work. That avenue is a lot better than buying a new transmission.
Well, I got rid of mine on eBay for what I paid for it ($400). But it is a pain in the *** to crate and ship a transmission.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1992Sport
Scott, I still have a copy of the money order i sent you, I really am sorry if you did not receive it. I will call the bank directly to see if it hasn't clear and will be more then happy to send you the money again plus anything else you feel is necessary to make things right. I send the money and shortly after that left for basic training at fort jackson. Will once I returned my email address was cancel and my 95 bird was stolen (all that work I did). I since then have purchased 2 SC and am looking for another 95 to do the swap again in. If you would please email me a number or way in which I can get a hold of you. again i am very sorry am would like the chance to fix this.
No I never did get a money order from you and didn't know what to think but I tried to e mail you a couple of times and I THINK you were still hanging around on this board but I'm not sure. Sorry to hear about you T-bird getting stolen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in