Transmission line came off !?!?! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Transmission line came off !?!?!

So I go to leave work tonight, it's not much above Zero out, so I had warmed up my T-bird. I leave the parking lot and every thing seems fine. I get to the stop sign about 2 miles down the road, the car acts like it was in neutral when I tried to take off. I revved the motor a little and it went into gear, and took off. Got to the next stop sign a couple more miles down the road, and it does the same thing. Except after I got going it was acting like the transmission was slipping. I made it home which is about another 10 miles. I was doing some checking once I got into the garage, and found the the transmission line where I had cut it to install the tranny cooler had blown off the rubber line. I guess the clamp had come loose since I installed it. Going to reattach the hose in the morning and refill the tranny, and hope for the best. I am wondering what damage I might have caused?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:17 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Old_coot
Wow, the answer to that is anything or nothing and everything in between, one thing you have going for you is the temperature. My advise is refill it and be easy on it for a few days and see what happens...........Good luck, Dan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
it depends how much fluid you lost.

You should have double clampled those lines with clamps about two inches apart from one another.

I ghetto rigged my 95 tranny cooler with the rubber lines, when I do my truck this spring I'm going to do it right with AN fittings and SS Lines.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

It was double clamped. I finally got the line back on a bit ago, and refilled it. That was fun getting to it from the top side. The line must not have come all the way off untill I got closer to the house. I put 7 quarts in her, and now it is over filled. I went ahead and drove it down the road about 1/2 mile and it seemed to shift though all the gears ok. I don't guess I will let out the extra fluid, and just wait and see.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 PM

I installed a union and flared the ends with the hose. 10k on it with no problems.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

ha! thats why I do not trust those rubber lines, I had a similar experience but I got pyst and went to AN fittings (see the bullet proof transcooler )

It's better to be a little under than over. From what I remember being told, too much oil = too much pressure...not good. Drain a little out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yea, I drained out a quart to get it back to the proper level. Drove it around town today and so far every thing seems to be ok. I don't think that it will blow off again. I am still running the rubber hose, but I got a 5/16 compression fitting to hose barb now.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackkatt
Yea, I drained out a quart to get it back to the proper level. Drove it around town today and so far every thing seems to be ok. I don't think that it will blow off again. I am still running the rubber hose, but I got a 5/16 compression fitting to hose barb now.
I did the same with the compression fitting and barb - use high quality hose and cover them with loom to prevent rubbing and they will last along time.

They've been one my car for about 15,000 miles. I'm gonna change out the rubber lines at 20K just for preventitive maintenence.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
i pray for you that you didnt mess up your tranny. mine did the EXACT same thing back in december. It basically ran dry and my tranny was toast.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

For some reason it did not pump itself clear dry. It only took 6 quarts to refill it. I am thinking that the hose did not come all the way off until I got closer to the house. Been driving it for the last couple of days, and knock on wood, but it seems to be ok.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 06:04 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
im lookin for another way to attach it other than rubber line, but i dont want to go buy braided line like fubarian's article says

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 08:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about reinforced and protected rubber hose failing - worst case pressure is TC pressure, whigh is regulated and IIRC below 50 psi.

When I need to attach rubber hose to a metal tube end, I flare the end of the tube just a little, so that the clamp(s) and hose can't slide off if they're tight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in