Help with old J Mod? parts & shift kit - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Help with old J Mod? parts & shift kit

I took apart an old transmission out of my old car to get to know the inside (just the stuff under the pan - mostly j-mod stuff) and notices it looked like it had the redesigned parts but the 2-3 piston was PN F7A9-75292-AB and the reverse servo was PN E0AP-7D189-AA. Also, the OD servo didn't have a PN just Unipiston TM, the letter A, and ABCD4 on the top of it. The tranny also had a shift kit in it, Transtec I think. There was extra springs, on solid in the 1-2 and and one very stiff inside the 2-3 - both was inside the stock springs as blocks to add more tension. I didn't do any of this work to the car (94 Tbird 4.6 LX) the previous owner had it rebuilt. My current car is a 95 Mark VIII and the previous owner owned the car from 30K till 87K and only changed fluid/fliter. Every now and then it shifts sloppy or hard to I think it's time to update the parts/Mercon V and I already ordered a cooler and guage but I don't want to drill the plate or put in a shift kit, I want to retain the stock smooth shifting. What should I bother using out the old transmission and what should I definetly buy new and not use off the old transmission. Thanks for your advice guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you're not drilling the plate (why not?) then you'd be just fine ordering a new top 1-2 spring and leaving the 2-3 spring out. Without a drilled plate the springs wont make much difference... but having 2 springs in the 2-3, i for the life of me cant understand why theyd do that. If you were to drill the plate, and still wanted stock like shifts you could add a lower 1-2 spring onto that list. I did this on my crown vic, its very smooth like before but you can just tell when its shifting. Those OEM smooth shifts are done by slipping the clutches in the trans.

The OD servo is the 2.5" one with the funky sleeve i bet... changing that is optional if you like, as is the other servo.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in