About to get Mercon V - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

About to get Mercon V

Im about to get mercon V instaled in my 96 3.8 v6.
a few quistions

what a good price to get it installed?
is there some special way u have to put it in? or is it normal like other cars?
how much do i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally posted by baseer
what a good price to get it installed?
is there some special way u have to put it in? or is it normal like other cars?
how much do i need?
price? free. you can do it yourself. see if you can round up some tccoa guys that live near you if you need help. check the tech articles for flushing tranny fluid. why dont you do the jmod while your at it? i think you will need 12 quarts, or if you plan to add a tranny cooler (like a good boy), then 13.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:44 PM

Honestly, the best route would be for you to put it in yourself. The m5 itself cost about $32, and you'll need a filter, about, um..., $15 methinks. There is no special way to put it in, just like normal. One thing you should consider is a tranny cooler. Its a practicly mandatory upgrade. This is also quite possible to do by yourself, but a trans shop can do it too. Look in the tech articles for more about both subjects.
Oh, and without a trans cooler, 12 quarts, with, about 13 quarts.
I couldn't tell you about shop costs, maybe someone else can,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:48 PM

Well, to do everything for my trans...it was about $2100. That included the transgo shift kit and the cooler. However to only do the rebuild was about $1700.

To just install the transcooler...its prob $150 or so. It shouldnt be no more than that. I honestly dont think its that much though. I cant tell you the exact price since I got everything in a bulk bill.

It seems pretty easy for you to install though. I just had no time/lift to do it.

Good luck.

--John

PS I went to cottman transmissions. They are nationwide and provided me a 1 yr/12k warranty on the trans.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

im 16, and honestly, i dont know sh1t about changing transmission or even the oil for that matter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

Ford dealer was around $130 for a drain and refill, when I paid to have mine done 4 years ago (yes, I do it myself now). Be persistent about getting the Mercon V, though, and not just a Mercon/Dexron swap with Lubeguard Mercon V property converter/additive. That happened to me once. Mercon V has a very distinct smell, almost burnt smelling when new, like axle/gear lube. Some quickie oil change shops will do the fluid flush for less than that, but I haven't found one yet that uses Motorcraft Mercon V, and I've had some bad experiences with a few of them for just a simple oil chage.

Don't be afraid to ask or pay for help when you recognize your limitations. It is possible to screw this up, and if you don't have any way of getting real help fast when you need it, it gets awful lonely, but if you have the facilities available and reliable help, I don't blame you for not wanting to tackle it yourself. My dad threw me into car repair 22 years ago, when I was 14, but trial and error on a VW was cheap, unlike a 4R70W, and he had years of experience to back me up.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
do it yourself man and do the jmod while your at it. i got the jmod parts, b&m trans cooler and all the mercon v and little odds and ends need to do the mod for a little less than $150. me and a friend did the mod, installed the cooler and flushed the trans in about 3 hours in front of my house on jack stands. i have never changed trans fluid or even dropped a trans pan before this. it was very easy. the tech articles tell you exactly what you have to do every step of the way. you will be very pleased with the end result.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it yourself.

I understand that people just getting into cars don't know much, and the worst thing you can do is try to do something without reading up on it and screw it up.

Surely there is a fellow tbirder in the Raleigh area that can help you out, and do it for cheap or free.

I can change tranny oil in these cars in 30 minutes tops, and most of that time is waiting for the torque converter to stop dripping.

Buy yourself a ford shop manual to familiarize yourself with the car, then let someone show you how to do it the right way, that is how you learn.

Also install a tranny cooler on there.

JH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in