Differentials - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Differentials

I need help deciding on what differential I need. I want positive traction but I don't want that clicking sound, think that's Detroit locker right? I'm looking on ford racing's web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
Quote:
Originally posted by drew97tbird
I need help deciding on what differential I need. I want positive traction but I don't want that clicking sound, think that's Detroit locker right? I'm looking on ford racing's web site.
Most of us just run the FRPP rear end. They are some good aftermarket units out there, but they are all WAY more expensive than the FRPP unit. And the FRPP unit is loaded with 3.73 gears already.

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

I don't want 3.73 gears. I'm a college student and I need all the gas mileage my 4.6 will give me. haha What type of differential do I need? As in what is the part number and what is it called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Then just buy a 3.27 unit with trak-lok, that is what gears you have now.

There was someone selling one for $100 in the For Sale section, not sure if it's still lthere or not though.

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=35242

NSN Motorsports
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:41 PM

dis DIFF. or dat DIFF.

For a daily driver, it's hard to beat a Trac-Loc!

Technically, an open diff. will give you the best gas mileage. However putting up with a "One Tire Fire", isn't worth the measureable, yet insignificant increase in gas mileage.

If you drive your car HARD, the very least you should consider, is an Auburn PRO. I trashed 2 OEM Medium Duty Trac-Loc's in 60K mi. Now I have an Auburn Cone, but not the PRO version. I wish I had gotten the PRO though.

The absolute BEST (& most expensive) is the Torsen. It's smooth & will provide full power to the wheels through any corner.

The old Detroit Locker did lock both rear wheels together. But when negotiating a curve, the DL differentiates by unlocking, which COMPLETELY REMOVES POWER from the unlocked side. The side that is still locked, then received 100% of the avail. power. That is why road racers used the Trac-Lok instead of the DL. There are several variations on the DL now. Soft Locker, Air Locker, etc. I haven't seen a diagram of them, so I can't say how they work.

68COUGAR
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 01:22 PM

What about using one of Auburn's mini spools? Doesn't that always keep the wheels locked? I really don't know much about differentials, but that's why i'm asking :-)

Adam b.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
i hate to toot my own horn.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...464#post258464

Let me know how I can help.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam B.
What about using one of Auburn's mini spools? Doesn't that always keep the wheels locked?
I don't know anything about Auburns mini spools. Are they even avail. for 7.5" or 8.8" Ford Diffs?

I can tell you what a "spool" is in racing terms. A SPOOL locks both axles together, until something breaks!!!! There is NO differentialization. Both axles rotate the same, even through a corner.

Have you ever been to the drags & seen a bracket car that couldn't make the turn into the staging lanes? OR have you ever seen a bracket car "bark" one tire as it turned into the staging lanes? Well, that's a SPOOL. A Spool ONLY works well on a Drag Only car!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff Said!

68COUGAR

Last edited by 68COUGAR; 03-06-2004 at 10:04 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 06:45 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dugweed Send a message via Yahoo to dugweed
one correction on the whole locker debate, if you are on the power it is locked!, if you are coasting(read as normal driving) around a corner, then it will unlock and allow one wheel turn freely, but as soon as you get on the loud pedal it will re-engage the unlocked side and usually jump sideways, given you have enough power.

SPOOLS ON THE STREET ARE A BAD IDEA...PERIOD
you WILL break something, probably a half shaft, and it will always try to go straight.

Mike

2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide
1996 F350 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 AM

I have been reading around and seeing some people say the Torsen generates more heat. Can anyone recommend a differential cooler? Would an Aluminum pumpkin help?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dugweed Send a message via Yahoo to dugweed
in order to instal a diff fluid cooler you would have to install some sort of pump system to get fluid to the cooler and back.

yes an aluminum housing would help, but i dont see you needing to worry unless you are gonna be doing some serious long distance high speed driving. y'know like 120 mph for hours on end.

if you are that worried just change the fluid more often and use a good synthetic lube.

Mike

2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide
1996 F350 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fusion0507
I have been reading around and seeing some people say the Torsen generates more heat.
Hmmmm? I've never heard that before. More heat than WHAT? How much heat? Why would a Torsen generate a lot of heat? Something doesn't sound right here. Where have you been reading that the Torsen causes heat? Can you post some URL's? I'd like to investigate this myself.

68COUGAR
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:22 PM

80 to 200 degrees:
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...ferential.html

No clue if this person made it up or has an actual data /shrug

This article was talking about 4WD Turbos but still had excellent descriptions of differential setups and diagrams:
http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/4wd_turbo_cars.html

"They tend to generate more heat under heavy use than open or other types of Limited Slip Differentials differential which of course means more power losses as some of the kinetic energy is transformed into heat rather than transmitted to the wheels"

is a quote under the sectioned view of the differential with the ring gear.

This thread at corner-carvers, page 2, Msquared near the top, mentions they generate heat:
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...hlight=splines

Im still going to buy a Torsen. Ive read nothing but great stuff about them. I am just gonna buy a cooler kit is all In my conquest to decide between the T2 and the T2R, however, the corner carver thread has left me undecided still lol

[EDIT] ok did some more digging:
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...ght=torsen+t2r

the second to last response:

"I don't know how one could be "better" than the other. Both are gear driver differentials. You will have to define "better" and I'm sure someone here with experience with both can help. When I did the searches here I came to the conclusion the T2R was an autocross differential and the T2 was more of a street/OT differential, with the difference being the torque bias ratio and the speeds at which you exit corners at."

This is the general feeling I got from all the reading. Anyone agree/disagree? Since im just building for a street car, Im now leaning towards the T2

As a word of caution, this thread says Torsens are bad for high RPM launches on slicks in drag conditions due to low surface area of gear teeth:
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...ght=torsen+t2r

Last edited by Fusion0507; 03-09-2004 at 05:26 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 AM

Strip Trip a T-2R

After reading around on the corner carvers board, it seems that the T-2R would be the best diff. for a street car.

However I still don't know how well it'll hold up at the drag strip!

Confused 68COUGAR
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:49 AM

Read the last thread I linked. From the tidbit in there I gathered it was bad. I saw your thread and tried to post, but it said my email was banned by the admin? LOL I registered but never posted as I have been afraid to

I remember someone from these boards saying "they do not suffer fools lightly" and their anti-newbie crap is discouraging, so I just lurk

By the way, what was your take on the heat issue?

(sorry for hijacking the thread =/ )
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
By the way, what was your take on the heat issue?
(sorry for hijacking the thread =/ )
From what I read, the heat issue was concerning road racers. I really don't think it would be a concern in a street car, because most street driving is straight ahaead anyway.

If you want to plumb in a diff. cooler, this looks like the piece to use:

http://www.jblmotor.com/prods/rearcov.htm

I don't recall who posted it, but it sure looks like a "HEALTY" piece of gear!!!!!!

68COUGAR
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 PM

Re: Corner Carvers New Guy Intimidation Program

Quote:
I saw your thread and tried to post, but it said my email was banned by the admin? LOL I registered but never posted as I have been afraid to .........their anti-newbie crap is discouraging, so I just lurk
LOL!!!!!! Yeah, I get a kick out of their "New Guy Intimidation Program". What's the purpose of having an open forum, if you purposely try to drive away new people. I guess their schitt doesn't stink!!!!!

68COUGAR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in